Curved mappings

Mathias Bredholt

Feb 27, 2020, 4:45:55 PM2/27/20
to dot_mapper
Hi!

I submitted a pull request to webmapper with a curved mapping expression generator. The implementation adds a "Curve" button to the expression editor, which opens a window to edit the curvature of the mapping with a slider. By pressing the "Generate" button, an expression is generated using the range of the source and destination of the mapping.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.44.39 PM.png

Mathias Bredholt

Feb 27, 2020, 4:46:34 PM2/27/20
to dot_mapper
The pull request is available here:

Joseph Malloch

Feb 29, 2020, 9:57:33 AM2/29/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mathias – this is great! I pulled in your branch with a few modifications and merged it into master along with the python3 branch.

Mathias Bredholt

Feb 29, 2020, 10:03:03 AM2/29/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Great! I added a couple of changes and force pushed a commit yesterday, if you can merge that one it would be great thanks!

Cheers,
Mathias

Mathias Bredholt

Feb 29, 2020, 10:27:09 AM2/29/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Never mind, I see you have made quite a few changes, I will check it out and possibly create a new pull request, if necessary :)

Cheers,
Mathias

Mathias Bredholt

Feb 29, 2020, 1:10:09 PM2/29/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

I submitted a new pull request with some cosmetic changes, it looks great now! Great idea with the math expression visualization.

Cheers,
Mathias

Joseph Malloch

Feb 29, 2020, 10:15:41 PM2/29/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mathias – I think this is a nice addition to the UI.

I made another change that I hope you will agree with: when the user clicks the “apply to map” button the editor now remains open, and is only closed by clicking outside the editor (we could also add an explicit “close” button if anyone finds this confusing). I think this better supports our usual exploratory workflow, in which a mapping is tweaked and then played with or monitored before being tweaked again. Leaving the editor open allows the mapping designer to see the visual representation of the curve expression while they are playing with the mapping and easily adjust it.

Cheers,
Joe

Mathias Bredholt

Mar 1, 2020, 10:29:41 PM3/1/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the merge! Yes, I totally agree, it makes a lot of sense. It is probably a good idea with the close button also. I’m excited to test the mappings with an actual controller in the coming weeks!

Cheers,
Mathias