liblo bundles are larger than MTU on ESP32

mathias...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 10:12:27 AM9/16/20
to dot_mapper
Hi,

For sending signal metadata, the problem with the bundle size still persists. The issue is that the bundles exceeds the maximum transmission unit (MTU) for ESP32. This can be solved by reducing the MAX_BUNDLE_COUNT. Maybe we could add a configuration flag or find some other solution?

Cheers,
Mathias

Joseph Malloch

Sep 16, 2020, 11:13:12 AM9/16/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mathias,

This sounds reasonable, though Steve pointed out in an older thread that it would be smarter for us to limit the bundle size in bytes (since this where MTU issues arise) rather than limiting the number of OSC messages in the bundle. Do you have a handy way to detect the MTU automatically during configuration or do we need to make this a config argument?

Cheers,
Joe

mathias...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 11:41:08 AM9/16/20
to dot_mapper
Hi Joe,

I've been trying to find a way to detect the MTU, but it doesn't seem like there is a simple cross-platform way to do it. If possible it could be a config argument?

Cheers,
Mathias

Stephen Sinclair

Sep 21, 2020, 2:40:47 PM9/21/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
This is an interesting point. Autodetection of MTU, I wonder if
there's a nice way to integrate such a "check" into liblo..

(lo_message_is_less_than_mtu, something like that might be useful?
API suggestions welcome.)

Off-hand I looked into the source of ifconfig, and it's just an ioctl
command: https://github.com/giftnuss/net-tools/blob/master/ifconfig.c#L489
But, I think it might be Linux-only, not sure of the equivalents on
Mac and Windows.

Steve