videos page

Stephen Sinclair

May 10, 2020, 6:44:23 AM5/10/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
I noticed there are more videos of works that use libmapper, so I
thought it might be nice to put them together on the website.

So I added a videos page:

http://libmapper.github.io/videos.html

I thought it would be nice to have sections (a) videos that
demonstrate libmapper technically, (b) videos of artistic works using
libmapper.

But so far I just added 3 videos. Maybe you guys know more?
Ideally something that shows the mappings that were designed (thereby
showing a libmapper interface) and then includes a performance,
something like that.

I thought about these ones, but not sure whether libmapper is used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-r9-c2jAG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugTksCvnXcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y4oHNANHks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT8dBdwQXnM

Also, according to the videos I could find, libmapper seriously in
danger of being seen as a "library for T-Stick mapping".. :) :)

That said I think we could benefit a lot more from Mathias' awesome
ESP32 work, we can promote libmapper better as a flexible embedded
mapping firmware!

The introductory video on libmapper.org is still nice but could use an
update with all the GUI / visualization work in the last few years
too.

Need to get myself an ESP32... ;)
Meantime maybe I'll try to do something with the nintendo-style
bluetooth controllers I have lying around..

regards,
Steve

Stephen Sinclair

May 10, 2020, 6:54:37 AM5/10/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
By the way, speaking of the ESP32, there's been talk on the FAUST
mailing list about using it as a synthesis platform.

Has anyone used embedded libmapper on the synthesis side of things?

Could be a really cool demo, to show ESP32-to-ESP32 direct
peer-to-peer communication coordinated using libmapper.

https://faust.grame.fr/doc/tutorials/index.html#dsp-on-the-esp32-with-faust

Steve

Mathias Bredholt

May 10, 2020, 4:26:34 PM5/10/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing the videos!

For my master's thesis I’m working on a platform “MapLooper”, which runs libmapper, FAUST, and Ableton Link on an ESP32. It enables live-looping of arbitrary FAUST parameters with a libmapper interface. I’m using a flute physical model following this example https://faust.grame.fr/doc/examples/index.html#flute

I currently have working demos with mappings between T-Stick and MapLooper. But as you say, it would be cool with a demo video that doesn’t involve the T-Stick.

Cheers,
Mathias

Stephen Sinclair

May 11, 2020, 6:13:40 AM5/11/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Ah, so even within the device itself, libmapper provides the external
interface for how to query and specify mappings... that's a nice use
case actually.
Maybe a collection of "use cases" covered by libmapper would be useful
for the website?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dot_mapper/E6D6401E-30B5-4C5C-B3BD-BB635412B1F7%40gmail.com.

Mathias Bredholt

May 11, 2020, 9:16:50 AM5/11/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Yes exactly, and with the optimized local mappings I believe that it will be working quite smoothly.

Maybe we should make an issue for the use cases on the GitHub for the webpage? Also, the readme on the libmapper GitHub should be updated with the latest developments.

What is the plan for releasing v2?

Cheers,
Mathias
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dot_mapper/CADopUHaEOycQAxO99pWTcPNOLpiHB7wURE-4rupLsSHigO-5Uw%40mail.gmail.com.

Stephen Sinclair

May 11, 2020, 9:31:35 AM5/11/20
to dot_m...@googlegroups.com
Yes, also please feel free to update the site itself, don't wait for
Joe or myself. It's just simple HTML+CSS, although I have to admit to
being tempted to convert it to a static site gen like Hugo.
Anyways, if you don't have push access we can grant it or you can make PRs.

As noted in the other thread, another page to add could be a list of
research papers or other publications about libmapper.

I'll let Joe answer about v2 ;)
My impression is that he's comfortable with the changes.

Best thing to do to contribute to a new release is to test test test
the v2 branch..
not just functionality but user experience of the API.

I suppose all the tutorials on the site might need updating for v2?

Steve

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 3:16 PM Mathias Bredholt