Electric Motorcycle Project FS

Aaron Burt

Feb 24, 2024, 10:06:44 PMFeb 24
to Dorkbotpdx Blabber
Howdy! I have a 2012 Zero XU electric motorcycle that I've enjoyed as a
runabout and commuter for many years. It's a great little bike, fast
enough (60 MPH) for short sprints on the freeway and just enough range
(20-25 mi) to commute downtown or run errands. It's light with a low
seat and makes an ideal learner bike.

Unfortunately this last winter, some combination of neglect and cold has
slain the battery. I think the BMS board might be OK, but the pouch
cells have swollen.

After checking greentecauto.com and playing with dimensions, I believe
you could refit it with 9 Leaf modules ($400) for the same range as
before, or 18 Samsung SDI94s ($1,000) for 2x the range, and reuse the
original BMS since it's the same chemistry. I would do that myself, but
when I moved out to Eagle Creek a couple years ago I bought a bigger
Zero, so I don't need the little XU now.

I dunno, $500? I have a pickup so I can bring it to you. Might make a
good father-kid project. As parts, it's a 10kW BLDC motor with a Sevcon
controller, a nice Al frame, good USD forks and a couple nice spoked
wheels, but it's a sweet ride and I'd hate to see it junked.

Thanks,
Aaron B
503-789-5289