72 pin SIMMS for KISS 68030

Tony Jones

Dec 4, 2023, 11:30:10 AM12/4/23
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm building the KISS retro 68030 board (https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:ecb:kiss-68030:start)

It needs two 5v SIMMs 60ns or faster, FPM or EDO. SS or DS. 128mb per stick (DS) is the max.

It's supposedly picky about ram, especially at higher clock rates.    So I'm concerned about buying commercially, finding it won't work and having a challenging return process.

Does anyone have any possibly compatible SIMMs they no longer need?

I'm curious if anyone else on the list has built this board?    I have about 95% of the parts sourced but may end up with pulls out of China for a few of the stragglers.

Thanks

Tony

jason

Dec 6, 2023, 12:02:23 AM12/6/23
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
Hey list.

I failed to reply to the list. Whoops.

I've been going back and forth a little bit with Tony. I have a small (I
dunno, maybe 20 or 30 stick) pile of SIMMs that I offered to dig through
at the meeting on Monday. Tony doesn't have a working board yet, so
it'll be hard to determine which ones both meet spec and are functional.

Weirdly stupid ask, but does anybody have a way to test said simms? Or
maybe you bring YOUR KISS retro 68030 board and we chuck random chips
into it for funzies....

Open to other ram ideas...

-jason

On 12/4/23 08:29, Tony Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm building the KISS retro 68030 board
> (https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:ecb:kiss-68030:start <https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=boards:ecb:kiss-68030:start>)
>
> It needs two 5v SIMMs 60ns or faster, FPM or EDO. SS or DS. 128mb per
> stick (DS) is the max.
>
> It's supposedly picky about ram, especially at higher clock rates.    So
> I'm concerned about buying commercially, finding it won't work and
> having a challenging return process.
>
> Does anyone have any possibly compatible SIMMs they no longer need?
>
> I'm curious if anyone else on the list has built this board?    I have
> about 95% of the parts sourced but may end up with pulls out of China
> for a few of the stragglers.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tony
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dorkbotpdx-blabber/CAKpApv6DnkXTe9DKHvcjB%2BS9qPjTm_4Vc-NPE7AA6zdwCh%3DKOQ%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dorkbotpdx-blabber/CAKpApv6DnkXTe9DKHvcjB%2BS9qPjTm_4Vc-NPE7AA6zdwCh%3DKOQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Tony Jones

Dec 6, 2023, 12:26:03 AM12/6/23

On Tue, Dec 5, 2023, 9:02 PM 'jason' via dorkbotpdx-blabber <dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Or maybe you bring YOUR KISS retro 68030 board and we chuck random chips into it for funzies....

If anyone else has built this board - as I mentioned - I'd be interested in chatting.

At the higher clock rates (50mhz) there are 60ns simms and also some 74FA chips that supposedly result in timing issues.  I bought some slower crystals so I can clock it lower to begin with.

Obviously if anyone has the board running at 50mhz and is willing to bring it to Ctrl-H to test some SIMMs that would be really great.

Thanks