re: resistance

Mykle James Hansen

Jan 14, 2024, 5:33:35 PMJan 14
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
Tom Moxon <tom....@gmail.com>: Jan 14 11:32AM -0800

I’m looking for 2 each of:
1u/.5w
1.5u/.5w
3.3u/.25w
22u/.25w
47u/.25w

Does the 1u/.5w mean one micro-ohm resistance?

Sorry, I typed my Ωs upside-down. Those are just ohms.

There are many (better) options now (resettable, one-time, fast/slow)
for different applications of circuit protection (fuses) with different
current ranges.
Check out LittelFuse, one of my go-to mfrs for circuit protection -
https://www.littelfuse.com/products/polyswitch-resettable-pptcs.aspx

Those are cool! The resistances i’m looking for don’t seem to
be available in radial lead tho.

FWIW: it seems that some of the through-hole resistors sold by
Mouser have flame-retardance in their datasheets even though
they’re not sorted that way by Mouser.  Vishay RN/RL series,
KOA CFP, SEI RSPF/RSPL . That’s gotten me most of the way there,
tho the 3.3Ω will just have to get installed on the underside
of the board, to hopefully fall out if it overheats. =/

I’m basically just chucking $2 at owning all the possible
FRs in the power supply, because I already have to order $10 worth
of other stuff and the shipping will be another $8.  It seems
like the 1Ω and 3.3Ω resistors have both drifted by a couple of
ohms, which is really tiny for ohms but really large for
percentage. I’m not really sure if swapping them will
change much, but I’ve already swapped all the caps
in this circuit — which solved a lot, but there’s still some
residual weirdness.

It’s odd to me, actually, that this circuit includes both
1Ω and 1.5Ω FRs. If they just needed to stick a tiny fuse in there,
they could have both been 1Ω. How can it be that an extra half ohm
resistance has a meaningful effect in a +-16v transistor circuit?

-m-