suction desoldering gun

Mykle Hansen

Dec 21, 2023, 12:10:33 AM12/21/23
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
Today i learned there is such a thing as a desoldering gun with heat and suction built into a single tip. how have i not known about this? its so obviously the right tool for certain jobs! ive always use the iron in one hand & the solder sucker in the other, but its kinda awkward when you dont have a third hand.

i wonder if anybodyhere has used such a tool & can reccomend me toward or away from any particular version?

This is where i saw it: Mend It Mark, a youtuber, repairing the same cassette deck I'm trying to fix, an aiwa f990! starting at 6:46 ...

-m-

Jared Boone

Dec 21, 2023, 1:02:30 AM12/21/23
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
The Hakko FR-301 is excellent, as long as you clean it periodically. It’s spendy, but everyone I know who’s dropped the coin on one has not regretted it. Lower-quality options tend to do more damage, either by not working well (leading to impatience or desperation), or by being too mechanically or thermally aggressive. When you’re desoldering something old, rare, or valuable, unnecessary damage is the last thing you want.

        - Jared

Jerry Biehler

Dec 21, 2023, 1:20:45 AM12/21/23
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
I have a metcal setup. Very nice but you do need compressed air to operate it.

-Jerry

Jerry Biehler

Dec 21, 2023, 1:21:47 AM12/21/23
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
Looked at the video and he has a metcal too.

Eric Garner

Dec 21, 2023, 10:21:34 AM12/21/23
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
2nding the metcal, if you already have a power supply and shop air, the gun isn't that expensive if you're patient on ebay.

Eric

Tony Jones

Dec 21, 2023, 2:07:35 PM12/21/23
On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 10:20 PM Jerry Biehler <jerry....@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a metcal setup. Very nice but you do need compressed air to operate it.

Be careful with some of the cheap Chinese units,  the pumps can be pretty weak offering poor solder suction.  I tested one at the pump output and it was pulling less than 5 inHg.

I picked up a Weller WR3000 for $500 on Craiglist a couple years ago. It pulls 20 inHg which is close to it's 0.7 bar spec.  It works really well though I hear the Metcal is better still.

I prefer the pencil style of the Weller DXV80 to the gun style of the Hakko FR-301.   In the gun style is your bag the DEN-ON SC7000Z is supposedly highly regarded,  I see them on eBay sometimes and they're not as well known as the Hakko so less people looking.

Tony

Justin R. Miller

Dec 21, 2023, 7:19:39 PM12/21/23
to dorkbotpd...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:10 PM, Mykle Hansen <my...@mykle.com> wrote:

> i wonder if anybodyhere has used such a tool & can reccomend me toward or away from any particular version?

I was wondering about this recently myself and found this video. The chap goes over a few methods that he likes, which I found generally useful about the space and the various options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpkPyS5aOA0

JM

Tony Jones

Dec 21, 2023, 7:55:48 PM12/21/23
On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 4:19 PM Justin R. Miller <inc...@codesorcery.net> wrote:
On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:10 PM, Mykle Hansen <my...@mykle.com> wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpkPyS5aOA0

Removing those resistors with a lot of available spacing isn't that challenging.  I find the challenges start when you're desoldering multi pin devices,  denser packaging, smaller more fragile traces.  I find myself using hot air often to finish things off as one or more leads on a multi-pin has residual solder you just can't remove with suction, the pin is on a power/ground line and it's sinking heat etc.   His technique of breaking the pin loose with a screwdriver isn't always possible due to leg length or wise as it can damage the thru-hole plating.   It's easy to end up damaging the board.   I just had to remove broken sata/usb connectors from an ASUS motherboard and it was challenging, tiny pads, big-ass ground plane.