Act Now to Stop Corporate Trade Deals

carolyn bninski

May 23, 2011, 8:07:14 PM5/23/11
to Bninski Carolyn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 11:05 AM
Subject: Act Locally to Stop the FTA Onslaught

Dear friends:

As you read this, the largest package of trade deals in over a decade is creeping closer and closer towards reaching the floor of Congress.  If we don't work together to stop it, we'll soon be facing votes on three separate NAFTA-modeled pacts in rapid succession:
  • The Korea Free Trade Agreement is the largest FTA since NAFTA itself, predicted by the federal government's own International Trade Commission to increase the overall U.S. trade deficit.

  • The Panama Free Trade Agreement is a gift to tax evaders and money launderers, threatening to lock-in Panama's extreme banking secrecy laws and undermine future attempts to go after corporate tax cheats.
  • The Colombia Free Trade Agreement is a pact that will greatly exacerbate the ongoing human rights catastrophe in a country that is already home to the largest population of internally-displaced people in the world.

It's not too late to stop this insanity, but only if we act together.  Two requests:  First, write to President Obama and your Members of Congress online now and urge them to abandon this disastrous trade agenda.  Tell them, no more offshoring jobs. No more sweetheart deals for Wall Street.  No more "free trade" when working people are denied their basic human rights.

After you've taken action online, take out your calendar and marker in one of the organizing meetings listed below.  Join together with fair trade advocates from your neck of the woods, learn where your Members of Congress stand on the three pending trade deals and discuss steps you can take in concert to help send a strong, clear message that each of these pacts is unacceptable.

California
Los Angeles.  Tuesday, May 24, 1:00pm.  Call-in (712) 432-0080; passcode: 315891#.  RSVP at t...@citizenstrade.org.
Northern California.  Tuesday, May 24, 3:00pm.  Call-in (712) 432-0080; passcode: 315891#.  RSVP at t...@citizenstrade.org.

District of Columbia
Washington, DC.  Tuesday, May 24, 6:00pm.  Public Citizen Q St Office.  1600 20th St.  RSVP at jplo...@citizen.org.

Maine
Statewide Call.  Thursday, May 26, 5:30pm.  Call-in (218) 844-3377; passcode 1845721#.  RSVP at dap...@mainefairtrade.org.

Michigan
Detroit.  Saturday, June 4, 1:30pm.   Solidarity House.  8000 E. Jefferson Ave, 3rd Fl.   RSVP at gcaj...@sinaltrainal.org

Minnesota
Minneapolis.  Monday, May 23, 6:00pm.  Bethany Lutheran Church.  2511 East Franklin Ave.  RSVP at mn...@citizenstrade.org

New York
NYC/Long Island.  Tuesday, May 24, 3:00pm.  Call-in (218) 339-4600; passcode: 756968#.  RSVP at Bro...@citizenstrade.org.

Ohio
Statewide Call.  Wednesday, May 25, 11:00am.  Call-in (219) 509-8222; passcode 2242968.  RSVP at klh....@gmail.com.

Oregon
Eugene.  Monday, June 13, 5:30pm.  AFSCME Building.  688 Charnelton.  RSVP at sama...@oregonfairtrade.org.
Portland.  Wednesday, May 25, 6:00pm.  AFSCME Building.  6025 E. Burnside.  RSVP at in...@oregonfairtrade.org.
Salem.  Monday, June 6.  Details TBA.  RSVP at eliz...@oregonfairtrade.org.

Pennsylvania
Statewide Call.  Friday, May 27, 10:00am.  Call-in (712) 432-3100; passcode 193472.  RSVP at a...@citizenstrade.org.

Texas
Dallas.  Details TBA.  RSVP at bob...@citizenstrade.org.
Houston.  Details TBA.  RSVP at bob...@citizenstrade.org.

Washington
Seattle.  Thursday, May 26, 5:30pm.  Call-in (213) 289-0500; passcode 993207#.  RSVP at kri...@washingtonfairtrade.org.

If you don't see an organizing meeting scheduled in your region, please contact us at in...@citizenstrade.org if you'd like to organize one yourself.  You can also find updates on our website at www.citizenstrade.org.

In solidarity,

Arthur Stamoulis
Executive Director
Citizens Trade Campaign

To unsubscribe from this list please click here
empowered by Salsa