The future of a statement

1 view

rob hollander

Oct 20, 2011, 2:26:34 PM10/20/11
to dontco...@googlegroups.com
Bringing the discussion to this dedicated listserv will likely kill the discussion -- people won't migrate -- until co-option becomes an urgent issue again. Then occupiers will wonder what ever happened to that group working on a statement. We should have something ready for them that they can accept without controversy, otherwise we've defaulted on our responsibility. Dropping the ball would be a embarrassment for us and demoralizing for OWS.

If we offer them two statements, one short and uncontroversial, the other inspired, they can take what they want from it. That would disburden us from choosing between ideals and and immediate practicalities. After all, we shouldn't be determining those choices, they should. We should merely facilitate those choices with carefully worded and wisely edited options.

Note that shaista, john (jem), cesar, gail, grim, david and others who have participated in the discussion are not even on this listserv.

--
Rob Hollander
Lower East Side Residents for Responsible Development

Jon Good

Oct 20, 2011, 3:37:35 PM10/20/11
to dontco...@googlegroups.com
I agree.  the fact that all those folks aren't on the listerv is a mystery to me.  People are genuinely upset that this process is bombing their inboxes with so much stuff.  I'll do another round of encouragement.

rob hollander

Oct 20, 2011, 5:14:39 PM10/20/11
to dontco...@googlegroups.com
People go to a wide listserv to be connected with it all. A dedicated listserv doesn't have that draw: it's actually limiting. We'll probably just have to work on a statement ourselves, and then go back to the wide list with the result(s).

jemc...@verizon.net

Oct 23, 2011, 10:11:30 AM10/23/11
to Don't Co-opt us
I decided to come see what is going on over here, but I don't really
have anything to add, except 'less is more.'