Migration from 0.6.0 to 0.8.0

Agra72

Mar 23, 2017, 7:23:07 PM3/23/17
to dompdf
Hi Brian, I would like to know the best-practice you'll suggesto to upgrade my dompdf installation to the latest stable version.
Which of self modified files I should keep? Something about the custom fonts? And which old methods will not work or need to be renamed on my calls?
I use dom from its 0.5.0 version... maybe of over 11 years ago and I love it! :-)
You think I will benefit from the upgrade from 0.6.0 to 0.8.0?
The major issues are on some page split on tables which have rowspanned rows, and the extreme slowness on larger pdf renderings.
Thank you in advance for your attention and your great work!
Alessandro,

BrianS

Mar 27, 2017, 9:48:10 AM3/27/17
to dompdf
 You should notice a bit of an improvement by upgrading to 0.8.0, but even more so if you also upgrade to PHP 7. I've seen significant performance improvements just moving to the newer version of PHP.

There are some improvements around handling row-spanned tables ... but may not enough to make an upgrade worthwhile. In the next version or so I'm hoping to see us make improvements in that area.

As for the actual upgrade process? I would probably start from scratch. The format of the font family cache file has changed and so you're less likely to run into font issues if you start clean. Note that the main project no longer supplies the load_font.php file, though you can find a version in the utils project that should work with 0.8.0. The method of configuration has changed significantly since (as of 0.7.0) dompdf no longer uses the dompdf_config.inc.php file. And also there are changes to the dompdf-instantiated FontMetrics class used in inline script.

If you have any more specific questions or concerns please let us know.

-b