Table scaling

Cielo Agnes Muyot

May 18, 2015, 3:36:00 AM5/18/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to scale a table in dompdf? Like in excel, it can be scaled to 85% or scaled to fit in page. I've tried the page-break-inside in CSS like what was said in other forums but it didn't work out. I also tried setting the height of the table/page/body to 50% but it doesn't resize.

Thanks in advance.

BrianS

May 18, 2015, 1:41:13 PM5/18/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com, cay....@gmail.com
There's not really an option for that in dompdf. The way dompdf renders tables is similar to how web browsers do, which is to look at the width of the page and the width of the content of each column. In addition to the way tables are rendered dompdf's table handling is limited in some ways.

That being said I do have a quick thought on how you can simulate this. Using CSS you can specify a fixed width to your table and style the table with table-layout: fixed. The table would render at the width specified. If you also apply a scaling value you can shrink the table in place. Something like the following:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>

</head>

<caption style="margin-top: 20px;" >Normal Table, Width = 100%</caption>

<tbody>

</tbody>

<caption style="margin-top: 20px;" >Normal Table, Width = 800px</caption>

<tbody>

</tbody>

<caption style="margin-top: 20px;" >Normal Table, Width = 800px, table-layout = fixed</caption>

<tbody>

</tbody>

The main drawback to this method is that the space taken by the table is unchanged, meaning there could be a potentially large blank space between the bottom of the table and any following content. It's also not possible to scale to 100%. You would have to know your table's width and apply a scaling that matches your page width.

Cielo Agnes Muyot

May 18, 2015, 8:41:42 PM5/18/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, sir. The transform attribute works. Though, I'm having trouble with page break. It still splits the table even if it's scaled. I already tried the three page-break attributes but it still gives the same result.

BrianS

May 19, 2015, 3:00:10 PM5/19/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com, cay....@gmail.com
The scaling will happen after the table has been rendered. Unfortunately that includes page breaks. Probably the easiest way to get around it is to break the page before the table. If that's not possible you could try placing the table in a containing div. You could even set a max-height to try to minimize post-table spacing. E.g.:

Cielo Agnes Muyot

May 19, 2015, 8:20:44 PM5/19/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com
It didn't make any difference, sir. I tried enclosing it into a div as you've said, but the div also breaks. I also tried setting the margin-top of the table to negative. But seems like the page really breaks at a certain point. Please check out the attached file to see the page break point.
test.pdf

BrianS

May 19, 2015, 9:26:01 PM5/19/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com, cay....@gmail.com
Can I see the HTML for that? You'll need to set a height/max-height to prevent the table from wrapping.

(Also, you're using v0.6.1 correct?)

Cielo Agnes Muyot

May 20, 2015, 9:31:48 PM5/20/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com
Here's the HTML and CSS file, sir. The CSS file is a bit messy because I just got that from a converted Excel file. And yes, I'm using v0.6.1.
technical_support_request_form.css
MISD-1431912882.html

BrianS

May 20, 2015, 10:06:59 PM5/20/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com, cay....@gmail.com
Whether this will work or not depends entirely on your document, but you could position the container absolutely. If you've got any preceding or following content you can further contain it in yet another container that is relatively positioned. You would have to manually set a height, though, to ensure any following content is positioned properly.

Cielo Agnes Muyot

May 20, 2015, 10:34:11 PM5/20/15
to dom...@googlegroups.com, cay....@gmail.com
Worked like magic! Thank you so much sir! :)