Is DOMAssistant Dead?

John Beales

Nov 16, 2011, 7:15:04 PM11/16/11
to DOMAssistant
This isn't a post that I want to be writing, but is DOMAssistant dead?
In working through some debugging in IE today I noticed that there's a
problem creating elements in IE9, (and I'm guessing all future
versions of IE as well), because IE9's version of
document.createElement() sticks more strictly to the spec than it used
to, (this Stackoverflow question, while not related to DOMAssistant,
talks about what's going on: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5344029/invalid-character-dom-exception-in-ie9).

So, is it dead, alive, in between? Are there future plans, or is it
time for me to adapt my project to use jQuery?

chenghong

Nov 17, 2011, 1:05:16 PM11/17/11
to domass...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, thanks for your concern and the supplied patches.

I will issue a maintenance release soon to address the IE9 bugs that you mentioned, plus a few others. The goal is to pass the tests at www.domassistant.com/sugar in as many supported browsers as possible.

Beyond that, there is no immediate plan.

John Beales

Nov 18, 2011, 2:11:05 AM11/18/11
to DOMAssistant
You're Alive! :)

I'm glad to hear that we're at least trying to keep on top of bugs,
both for selfish reasons, (I don't want to have to convert a rather
large project to a jQuery), and because I really like what
DOMAssistant stands for and don't want to see it slip into oblivion.

If you need any assistance testing, or developing, let me know.

John

On Nov 17, 1:05 pm, chenghong <chengh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John, thanks for your concern and the supplied patches.
>
> I will issue a maintenance release soon to address the IE9 bugs that you
> mentioned, plus a few others. The goal is to pass the tests atwww.domassistant.com/sugarin as many supported browsers as possible.

Robert Nyman

Nov 18, 2011, 3:07:51 AM11/18/11
to domass...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great, Cheng Hong!
It's been years since I did anything DOMAssistant-related, but am very happy to hear that you carry on the torch.

It might also be a good idea to include John as a co-developer if he wants to?

Best regards,
Robert

Pelle Wessman

Nov 18, 2011, 3:41:51 AM11/18/11
to domass...@googlegroups.com
Nice to see stuff happen, like Robert I haven't either used DOMAssistant for a while. Lately I've been starting to use Ender.js though instead of jQuery which has otherwise been my standard library after DOMAssistant. Ender.js share some of the modularity thoughts that has been core to DOMAssistant. If we would want a next step for DOMAssistant then it would be interesting to port the most unique and valuable parts to Ender.js compatible modules so that one could build a custom DOMAssistant through the Ender.js builder and combine the DOMAssistant bits with other interesting modules.

/ Pelle Wessman

chenghong

Nov 21, 2011, 1:19:42 AM11/21/11
to domass...@googlegroups.com
It will be great to have John on board. He obviously has an active interest in DOMAssistant too.

I'm sorry for the lack of updates in the past year, as work and family consumed me. It didn't help that I have moved away from hardcore development in my job. But it's good to be back fixing IE bugs - it somehow evokes a weird sense of achievement.

So John, would you like to join in as co-developer?