network share

Sagar M D

May 6, 2021, 6:51:24 AM5/6/21
to Dokan
hi,
what the different mount points available in dokan ?

In eldos callback file system driver, i see below types of mount points can be done:-

Types of Mounting Points

  • Drive letter mounting points
  • UNC path mounting points
  • Network mounting points
  • Folder mounting points
is these are supported using Dokan also ?

Thanks,
Sagar.

Adrien JUND

May 6, 2021, 7:20:51 AM5/6/21
to do...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

All the types of mount points you listed are supported by Dokan.
You can try all of them using the mirror command line options.

Best regards,
Liryna

Sagar M D

May 6, 2021, 9:39:28 AM5/6/21
to do...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thanks for quick response.

eldos callback file system driver provides a way to create network share without creating the network drive or mounting onto any local folder.
Basically if we provide a sharename with network share option, it will create shares for us.

But in Dokan, we need to create volume and mount it on a local mount point and share that  ourselves .
is there anyway, we can just create network share (virtual) without network drive or mounting onto local folder (and share ourselves)

And also I tried mirrors to create UNC share followed this below instructions and below command

C:\Program Files\Dokan\DokanLibrary-1.4.0\sample\mirror>mirror.exe /l m: /r C:\test /n /u /localhost/test1

Network Provider

If mounting is done with DOKAN_OPTION_NETWORK, Dokan Network Provider must be used to ensure correct functionality. This file (dokannp1.dll) must be copied to WINDIR%\system32 and the provider can be registered on a system with dokanctl.exe /i n command.

Without this Network Provider, Windows Explorer will not properly handle virtual drives mounted as network shares and drives could appear disconnected.

If Network Redirector is set up using a UNC Name, Dokan Network Provider will assign a UNC Name to the drive label automatically.

P.S. Our use case is to create a virtual file system which should be accessed over the network.

Thanks,
Sagar.

Adrien JUND

May 6, 2021, 11:09:16 AM5/6/21
to do...@googlegroups.com
Indeed the dokan network driver is actually not shared by default. It needs an extra steps to share it externally which is possible with a few command lines I believe.

Have to network drive shared at mount with an option would be a great feature. If anyone is open to contribute, I will be glad to review the pull request!