Small Stepper Motor Temperature

1 view

Frank Perra

Jun 15, 2024, 5:09:09 AMJun 15
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking for some advice to be able to minimise the temperature of a small stepper motor.   I have a Nema 11 motor that will be going into a confined area and concerned about the temperature of the motor.  The motor will be used intermittently and it does not require  having a great deal of torque.  I have room to provide  limited cooling and/or a heat sink but the area where it will be located is quite confined..

I have had very limited experience with stepper motors so I have lots to learn.

I would appreciate any advice on how to reduce the running temperature of the motor.

Thanks,
Frank Perra

Sean Jarman

Jun 15, 2024, 6:41:55 AMJun 15
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
If the duty is light and intermittent, and you choose the right driver ( any of the more modern ones like stepsticks) it probably won't need any cooling.

Sean

Frank Perra

Jun 15, 2024, 5:47:42 PMJun 15
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean

That’s very helpful. I’ll look into the stepsticks controllers you suggested.

Thank you
Frank