3D printing in "delrin"

Alex J Lennon

May 25, 2023, 9:14:31 AM5/25/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

A pal of mine asked if I know anybody who can print in "delrin"

Means nothing to me but I thought some of the experts here might have an
idea?

Cheers!

Alex

Andy Green

May 25, 2023, 9:34:01 AM5/25/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

A quick search for Delrin filaments throws up Acetal, which is similar but not the same. We're they specific about it being Delrin?

In principle, the Ultimakers at DoES should be able to print in  Acetal (available at amazon amongst others), though apparently print bed adhesion can be a problem.

Hope this help,
Andy Green

jacki...@hotmail.com

May 25, 2023, 1:49:41 PM5/25/23
to DoES Liverpool
I found this at lunchtime: https://all3dp.com/2/delrin-3d-printing-filament/

As Andy says, it does sound possible, but with print bed issues (I'm not surprised, as Delrin is very non-sticky). Most worrying bit is "Keep in mind  that if POM gets overheated, it will produce formaldehyde fumes that are dangerous to inhale."

Alex J Lennon

May 26, 2023, 4:28:29 AM5/26/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Jackie, Andy! That's really helpful. Have passed that along to my friend :)))

Karl Dunkerley

May 27, 2023, 3:33:15 AM5/27/23
to DoES Liverpool
Took me a while to remember where I had heard the name Delrin and it has just hit me. Delrin is excellent for making laser-carved stamps. It is very tough but flexible. I bought a sheet and made a stamp so my sister could use it for stamping her logo into hard leather.

I don't recall seeing anything other that sheets of it though. Dont'e remember seeing it in reels. Not sure it would be easy to use for 3D.

Alex Lennon

May 27, 2023, 5:17:33 AM5/27/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Karl - so maybe a laser cutter would work with it ?

On 27 May 2023, at 08:33, Karl Dunkerley <karldu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Took me a while to remember where I had heard the name Delrin and it has just hit me. Delrin is excellent for making laser-carved stamps. It is very tough but flexible. I bought a sheet and made a stamp so my sister could use it for stamping her logo into hard leather.

Sean Jarman

May 27, 2023, 5:43:16 AM5/27/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
Not so sure about lasering Delrin, formaldehyde is one of the thermal decomposition products...

Sean

Alex J Lennon

May 27, 2023, 6:18:05 AM5/27/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com

jacki...@hotmail.com

May 27, 2023, 8:22:56 AM5/27/23
to DoES Liverpool
I have laser cut Acetal before, as have Aeternum. It cuts really well. Bit concerned about the formaldehyde now though.

Karl Gmail

May 27, 2023, 1:41:02 PM5/27/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
I lasered it cleanly. Doesn't have that brittleness that normal laserable plastics do so you can use it in a press.

Karl Gmail

May 27, 2023, 1:42:12 PM5/27/23
to 'Sean Jarman' via DoES Liverpool
You wouldn't use it for large structures so the amount is miniscule.