3D map Liverpool: proposal for a community-wide project

Andy Green

Mar 1, 2023, 6:20:32 AM3/1/23
to DoES Liverpool
Hello everybody

At Maker Night tomorrow (2nd March), I'll be outlining plans for proposed Liverpool-wide community project in which we'll be building Liverpool in 3D.

Using digital elevation data, our aim is to prepare and 3D print and 'build' the city in an array of tiles, working towards an installation that would be hosted in one or more public locations in the city. The eventual size will of course depend on both the geographical extent and the scale we print at, but would likely be several metres.

I've had some initial, informal discussions with Adrian, Jackie, Chris and Will and would now like to share ideas, identify potential partners and get the wheels in motion. It would be great to have enough of it started in time for the Liverpool Makefest on 1 July.

I'll be bringing some samples along in order to give you a better idea of what we're doing.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Andy Green

Central London SolidMap at 1-10000.jpg
Small scale (1:10000) 3D map of Central London.

Snoof Kattekop

Mar 1, 2023, 6:24:56 AM3/1/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
When you say "our" aim - who's that? Are you part of an organisation?

Andy Green

Mar 3, 2023, 10:27:53 AM3/3/23
to DoES Liverpool
I have a 3D printing (FDM) business on the Wirral, but have visited DoES for some occasional laser-cutting, etc for a number of years.

Over the past couple of years, I've been making SolidMaps, 3D representations of the Earth's surface anywhere from continental down to street level, where the relavant data exists. Most of the work I've done to date is of a relatively modest size (up to about A3), but I think it would be great to produce a 3D map of Liverpool on a much more ambitious scale, potentially several metres across, which could be housed in a public location within the city.

I was really encouraged by the positive response at the Maker Night yesterday, based on a 1:2500 SolidMap of York and a very small 1:10,000 scale Liverpool, which was in fact an early prototype.

3D map of central York at 1:2500 in progress. Each of the tiles are 10cm × 10cm squares.

Prototype SolidMap of Liverpool at 1:10000 scale. The Tapestry is there at the top-right :-)

Zarino Zappia

Mar 3, 2023, 10:35:19 AM3/3/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
I take it everybody already saw the massive transparent 3D map of Liverpool that was (maybe still is?) on display on the first floor of RIBA North in Mann Island? Looks like it was made by Hobs, the photocopier people.

Zarino Zappia

Alex J Lennon

Mar 4, 2023, 11:19:12 AM3/4/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com, Gary Millar

I remember talking to Gary Millar about this I think. He was telling me (if I have this right) that it was intended as a visualisation tool for all sorts of interesting Liverpool related information?

Cheers,

Alex

sanna king

Mar 4, 2023, 11:36:01 AM3/4/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,
I wasn't around on Thursday evening, so didn't get to find out more about your project.
I'm also on the Wirral, and my friend Alison is one of the founders of Wirral Makefest starting out this year on 3rd June.
Would love to talk to you if you might be interested in getting involved in some way too.
Let me know,
Much appreciated,
Take care,
Sanna Xxx
07813809047

Alex J Lennon

Mar 4, 2023, 12:43:25 PM3/4/23
to Gary Millar, does-li...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Gary that does indeed sound really interesting! Yes I'll speak with Andy Levers and ask if we might go along to see!

Kind Regards,

Alex

On 04/03/2023 16:35, Gary Millar wrote:
There was / is a rubberised transparent city centre map at RIBA North. It’s at least 10 years old and was produced by Arup and others using best technology available at that time. It was stimulated using a touchscreen and was illuminated showing data clusters including deprivation levels, underground, bus route and rail links and much more. Collected and updating data helped better understand a whole host of impacts and issues.

A few weeks ago I visited a much more sophisticated and larger version of this at the Digital Innovation Facility (DIF). They have used laser technology beamed and collected via aircraft flyovers. It currently shows most of the Wirral, most of Liverpool and parts of other local authority areas. It highlights similar data clusters - but more. It is displayed on large screens and permits walk arounds and fly-throughs.

Alex - it’s worth arranging a visit to the DIF with Andy Levers.

Best Wishes. Gary

Gary Millar FJMU
Mobile: 07785 377 663

Please note. All information is presented in good faith and no warranty or endorsement is given or responsibility accepted regarding the standing of any individual, firm, company or organisation. It is important that people undertake their own due diligence when dealing financially with others and before passing over money.

Andy Green

Mar 5, 2023, 3:48:48 AM3/5/23
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sanna,
Thanks for reaching out. On Thursday, we talked a bit about including some of the Wirral in any Liverpool 3D map; I think it's important to do so, as it would look better to see both banks of the Mersey :-)  And of course, a Wirral 3D map in its own right is not out of the question.
I am due at an event in London on Fri 2nd June, but would be interested in taking part in the Wirral Makefest if at all possible. I'll give you a call tomorrow morning and maybe we can arrange to meet up with Alison.
All the best,
Andy