3D Scanners

cheapjack

Jul 20, 2021, 6:46:50 AM7/20/21
to DoES Liverpool
Wonder if anyone's had much experience with 3d scanners and could recommend an 'entry level' - hard to describe that - but something for people wanting to get started with scanning, having not really done much but experienced in using tinkercad/openscad adn printing with Enders & Prusa's

Maybe something  thats a bit better than scanning with phone apps and under £1K. Any advice welcome!

cheers Ross

Sean Jarman

Jul 20, 2021, 8:50:09 AM7/20/21
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
There's one in the space.  Bit of a pain in the proverbial to set up but gave good results when matt played with it.

cheapjack

Jul 20, 2021, 12:17:15 PM7/20/21
to DoES Liverpool
Cool hmm sounds tricky but good it gets results.. ill have a look when im in next month, but if you know the make/model off the top of your head let us know ta

Adrian McEwen

Jul 20, 2021, 12:35:29 PM7/20/21
to does-li...@googlegroups.com

Check the wiki ;-) https://github.com/DoESLiverpool/somebody-should/wiki/Sense-3D-scanner

At Museum in a Box we've tended to use photogrammetry, with Agisoft being the software of choice.  JR would be the best person to chat to in DoES I think - he's done a variety of scanning projects at the archeology dept of the Uni.

I shared the link to https://alicevision.github.io/#meshroom here a couple of years back, still haven't tried it myself though.

Cheers,

Adrian.

JR Peterson

Jan 20, 2022, 4:34:48 AM1/20/22
to does-li...@googlegroups.com
Only just seen this, is this still a live query?

I would recomend going down the photogrammetry route as that's what i'm most familiar. Intuition says it can't work, but we are finding it can very much comopete with laser scanning on geometry detail.

Very happy to assist.

JR

cheapjack

Feb 9, 2022, 2:39:58 PM2/9/22
to DoES Liverpool
ooh interesting its an alive but sluggish query - hows that work?