XML Primary vs. Support tags

Jason Meridth

Apr 6, 2009, 5:06:45 PM4/6/09

paramref
see
value

A)
I see ticket #7 (http://docu.lighthouseapp.com/projects/27685/tickets/7-parse-other-documentation-nodes) and it mentions

typeparamref

which is in which category?

B)
The reason I ask is because I see the parsers in Docu.Parsing.Comments.CommentParser (looks like support tags) and the properties in Docu.Documentation.BaseDocumentElement that look like primary tags.

C)
I'm trying to dog-food Docu and have the need for the code tag.  It has been labelled a support tag, usually living in an example primary tag.  I have it as such in my xml comments for work.  I'm still trying to figure out how the output for the parsers is actually reaching the spark templates, but that is just me.

D)
the value property in BaseDocumentElement seems to be treated as a primary tag, but from what I've read online it is a support tag, usually nested in a primary tag.  Is this true?

---
Jason Meridth
http://jason.lostechies.com

James Gregory

Apr 7, 2009, 5:04:15 AM4/7/09
to docu-...@googlegroups.com
A) typeparamref == paramref, just for generic type arguments. So whereever paramref is, typeparamref should be too.

B) That sounds about right, the CommentParser just parses the contents of the primary tags, which is a combination of plain text and support tags.

C) I'd make code a support tag.

As for how the output is getting to the views... Have you had a look at the PatternTemplateResolver? It's a rather badly named class that possibly has too many responsibilities, but it essentially expands template paths to output paths, and turns a list of Namespace's into an instance of ViewData for each output file. The ViewData is then passed to the HtmlGenerator which creates the spark view. The Namespaces come from the DocumentModel class.

D) My understanding is that value is a primary tag, but I may be wrong. I got it from this page, which makes me believe <value> == <return> for properties.

Jason Meridth

Apr 7, 2009, 12:07:37 PM4/7/09
to docu
That clears it up for me. Thanks James.

Thanks for pointing me to PatternTemplateResolver.

In regards to value, your information is more up-to-date. Mine is
from a June 2002 article on MSDN.
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc302121.aspx)

--
Jason