Doctrine 3 features and timeline

Vincent Pazeller

Oct 3, 2019, 3:50:57 AM10/3/19
to doctrine-user
Hi all,

I have seen that the doctrine team is working on the doctrine 3 branch... is there any documentation that gives informations on:
- What are the big changes/improvements planned in this major release?
- Is there any clue about the timeline (e.g. is there any hope to get a release somewhere in 2020?)

My hopes is that Doctrine cover more use cases and gets more customizable :)

Thanks for your work!

Vincent

Marco Pivetta

Oct 3, 2019, 5:18:05 AM10/3/19
to doctri...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vincent,

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019, 09:51 Vincent Pazeller <vincent...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I have seen that the doctrine team is working on the doctrine 3 branch... is there any documentation that gives informations on:
- What are the big changes/improvements planned in this major release?

Mostly cleaning up a lot of accumulated debt due to hacks that had to be done when designing against PHP 5.2/5.3 a decade ago. Performance should also improve in a noticeable way.

- Is there any clue about the timeline (e.g. is there any hope to get a release somewhere in 2020?)

Not really: we work on the project in our free time, when we can, so there's no way to set timelines, except for when we're close to a release (we aren't yet).

My hopes is that Doctrine cover more use cases and gets more customizable :)

In general, we aim at making it less customizable, and to support fewer use-cases, since the grand majority of users that customized the ORM did in fact shoot themselves in the foot with it.

V3 will certainly *allow* for customisation due to structural improvements, but the driver for that release is getting out a lot of kinks that keep biting the maintainers and the users.