Is there any in-depth reference documentation for the Doctrine APIs?

Mattia Basaglia

May 18, 2020, 5:33:23 AM5/18/20
to doctrine-user
I was looking at the documentation website, it lists a bunch of examples, tutorials, and other topics.
But I haven't been able to find proper reference documentation on like a list of methods for a class, function parameters, return types and the like.

For example, I was searching to see what `findOneBy` returns (specifically if it returns null or throws something if nothing is found).
Searching on the documentation website it gives these two results:

Those two results kind of explain how the function works but not in the way I'm looking for.

So I dug up the code and found some helpful comments in ObjectRepository.php.
Those comments look formatted in a way that can be used to generate the sort of documentation I'm looking for.
I was wondering if it's accessible online somewhere, because I haven't been able to find it.

Marco Pivetta

May 18, 2020, 5:47:21 AM5/18/20
to doctri...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mattia,

You can generate such docs via PHPDocumentor: we used to host them, but since they were constantly out of sync and largely unused, they have been dropped.

Most people work with IDEs such as PHPStorm, VSCode or Netbeans, which allow for quick type introspection, and which rely on the comments that you mentioned in order to infer proper types.