Unable to build docs on local host

Raghuram Devarakonda

Mar 23, 2015, 11:47:02 PM3/23/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

When I run "make docs" on the local Ubuntu host, the command consistently fails with the following error:

----------
AssertionError: The page "index.md" contained a hyperlink to "introduction/understanding-docker.md" which is not listed in the "pages" configuration.
----------

I am doing the build from latest Docker source without any local changes so I am not sure what is the problem here. Can some one help? I can post the full stack trace if required.

Thanks,
Raghu

Sven Dowideit

Mar 24, 2015, 12:29:06 AM3/24/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com
eeek. I'm looking into it, should be an easy fix/revert

Sven Dowideit

Mar 24, 2015, 12:32:36 AM3/24/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com
mmm, looks like my machine is going to pull some images for a bit, and from here, the mkdocs.yml looks to contain that page.

so I'm wondering (hoping) that you need to update your docker checkout

are you on irc / gitter?

Sven Dowideit

Mar 24, 2015, 1:03:32 AM3/24/15
to docke...@googlegroups.com
Heya

it looks like it works ok for me - I've just run

git checkout master
git fetch upstream
git reset --hard upstream/master
make docs

assuming that you have set up `upstream` as

git remote add upstream https://github.com/docker/docker

Sven

Raghuram Devarakonda

Mar 24, 2015, 9:02:11 AM3/24/15
to Sven Dowideit, docke...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sven,

I just tried the steps but I still run into same error as before. I verified that I have the latest source. I am curious if any one else is facing similar issue in building docs.

Thanks,
Raghu

Raghuram Devarakonda

Mar 25, 2015, 5:39:32 PM3/25/15
to Sven Dowideit, docke...@googlegroups.com

I tried to debug the problem further and in the process, I ran the document container explicitly, like so:

"docker run --rm -it  -e AWS_S3_BUCKET -e NOCACHE -p 8000:8000 "docker-docs:master" /bin/bash"

This is essentially the same command that "make docs" runs except that I used /bin/bash instead of "mkdocs serve". I looked at "mkdocs.yml" inside the container and these are its contents:

----------
# Generated mkdocs.yml from
site_name: Docker Documentation
site_url: /
site_description: Documentation for fast and lightweight Docker container based virtualization framework.
site_favicon: img/favicon.png

dev_addr: '0.0.0.0:8000'

docs_dir: sources

include_search: true

use_absolute_urls: true

# theme: docker
theme_dir: ./theme/mkdocs/
theme_center_lead: false

copyright: Copyright © 2014-2015, Docker, Inc.
google_analytics: ['UA-6096819-11', 'docker.io']

pages:

# Introduction:
- ['index.md', 'About', 'Docker']
----------

Note that the "pages" configuration is drastically different from what one finds in repository's mkdocs.yml. Based on the above mkdocs.yml file, the error message I get (shown below) is completely understandable:

"The page "index.md" contained a hyperlink to "introduction/understanding-docker.md" which is not listed in the "pages" configuration."

The question is: why does the mkdocs.yml file inside the docs container look like it is truncated?

Thanks in advance,
Raghu

Raghuram Devarakonda

Mar 25, 2015, 10:30:59 PM3/25/15
to Sven Dowideit, docke...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

As I mentioned in my previous post, the file "mkdocs.yml" in the doc container appeared to be incorrect. On further inspection, it seemed as though the Dockerfile command "COPY ./mkdocs.yml mkdocs.yml" didn't copy the mkdocs.yml file as expected, though there was no error while building the image.

When I replaced this line with "RUN cp /src/mkdocs.yml mkdocs.yml", things worked better. The command "make docs" started the document server and I could browse the documentation without problems.

Any idea why COPY command might apparently be misbehaving? I thought it might have something to do with permissions but running "make docs" as root didn't help.

Thanks,
Raghu