A heads-up: there are changes coming to the API

Dominic Mitchell

Mar 13, 2020, 7:58:11 AM3/13/20
to doaj-api-announcements

The DOAJ is changing its application form. This means that there will be downstream implications across all of our metadata output channels, including the API.

A new version of the API will be released in Q3 2020. This new version will not be fully backwards compatible.

Those of you submitting applications via the API or who are using the API for journals search and retrieval will need to adjust your integrations.

Not all functions will be affected however: for those of you who are uploading article metadata to us, nothing will change; there is nothing for you to do.

Full details of the exact changes to the application form can be found here: https://blog.doaj.org/2020/03/09/our-application-form-is-changing/

If you have any questions, please post them here.

Further announcements will happen here and on our Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/DOAJplus

Dominic Mitchell

May 19, 2020, 2:45:10 AM5/19/20
to doaj-api-announcements

Progress report on the changes coming to the API in Q3 2020
Here is the second update about changes that we are making to our API. If you submit applications via the API or are using the API for journals search and retrieval, then you will need to adjust your integrations.

Although development is still progressing, we want to get as much information out to our API users as we can. Here are some key points:

  1. The only thing that is changing is the data model because we are changing some of the questions that we ask in our application form.
  2. Only the Journal Search and Retrieval and Applications models are changing. CRUD Articles and article search are not changing.
  3. We will have a new URL for the API. The applications and journals API calls must be sent to the new URL. We will establish a redirection for Articles calls.

We have been exploring ways to allow users to test their integrations before the new API goes live. These might include a sandbox and a whole test site for you to upload to. We will have more details on the exact testing features we can offer as we draw nearer to launch.

Dominic Mitchell

Jul 27, 2020, 4:20:12 AM7/27/20
to doaj-api-announcements
Progress report on the changes coming to the API in Q3 2020
This is the THIRD update about changes to the API which will go live in September 2020.

  1. We will be releasing a version 2 of the whole API. All the URLs that you currently use for the API are of the form "/api/v1/{endpoint}", these will all become "/api/v2/{endpoint}"
  2. The API routes for "/api/v1/articles" and "/api/v1/articles/{article_id}" will continue to work, but they will respond with a permanent redirect to "/api/v2/articles" and "/api/v2/articles/{article_id}". You should not have to change your article upload integration at all during this API upgrade, though you should strongly consider moving from the v1 to v2 URL routes.
  3. The data model for Journals and Applications is changing, quite significantly. This will affect all Application CRUD interfaces, Journal retrieve and Journal/Application search APIs.
  4. Attached are two files, OutgoingAPIJournal.md.txt and IncomingAPIApplication.md.txt, which show the data models of the Application and Journal models as they will appear in the new API. Full documentation is not quite done yet, but these provide a preview of the new models.
Any questions, please ask them here or email me: d...@doaj.org
IncomingAPIApplication.md.txt
OutgoingAPIJournal.md.txt

Dominic Mitchell

Nov 24, 2020, 10:24:19 AM11/24/20
to doaj-api-announcements
Final announcement re the API changes
We will be launching our new website tomorrow, 25th November 2020.

Specifically, the site will go into read-only mode from 5pm CET time today. After that, the API will be unavailable until  11am CET tomorrow.

The new URL for the API is https://doaj.org/api/v2/
The new URL for the documentation is https://doaj.org/api/v2/docs

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this message.

Thanks

Dom
DOAJ Operations Manager.

Dominic Mitchell

Nov 25, 2020, 7:05:57 AM11/25/20
to doaj-api-announcements
The new website (and API) is now live and are no longer in read-only mode.