Tracking DNS without pushing changes?

Douglas Parrish

Dec 4, 2021, 3:46:37 PM12/4/21
to DNSControl-discuss
I manage servers for a subdomain within my organization.  I do *not* have the ability to directly modify DNS (infoblox).

I'm looking for a way to keep track of my 80+ DNS entries, something a little better than a spreadsheet :)

I was wondering if anybody has ever built a textfile "provider" for DNSControl.

Goals:

1. Maintain primary list of all records in DNSControl
2. Preview/Push would provide a diff or update the textfile.  Diffs could be sent as part of the change request process to actually get DNS changed.
3. Ideally, I could have an online version of "check" which would ensure that all the records in DNSControl are correct in DNS.

Is there some other tool that provides this functionality?

Tom Limoncelli

Dec 4, 2021, 4:02:05 PM12/4/21
to Douglas Parrish, DNSControl-discuss
The BIND provider produces BIND-style zonefiles.  I think that’s half of what you are looking for.

Many people use Git plus CI/CD tool to make a GitOps (https://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3237207) paradigm.

I haven’t seen it used to generate the change requests like you described but it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Tom

PS  Does Infoblox have an API?
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile. Autocorrect is my co-author.

Douglas Parrish

Dec 4, 2021, 7:52:58 PM12/4/21
to DNSControl-discuss
I can't believe it didn't click that zonefiles would work.

The output of preview is probably good enough for CR's.

I was looking at dnszone (https://github.com/greg-hellings/dnszone); I think using it I can pull together a quick script to verify that everything I have locally is correct in DNS.
Unfortunately, since I can't do zone transfers, I can't verify the other way around.
Ah well, it's better  than it was.

Thank you!