Introduction

Val Van Zee

May 28, 2011, 10:59:02 AM5/28/11
to dna-and-wik...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Chris for the invite. My apologies for that previous blank message... slip of the fingers... I guess.

Background:
Have been an avid, amateur, genealogist for 40+ years. Early on, I was advised to document, document, document! Excellent advise, which I've always attempted to follow.
About six years ago I volunteered as the administrator for the Gibson DNA Surname Project. Have seen that project grow from something like 6 members to 151. While I do not understand the science behind it all, I have learned a lot about theory and application.
About 5 years ago I had my mtDNA tested.
Last year I also ordered the Family Finder test, which I think has the greatest potential for helping with some of those brick walls which Bill Atkinson mentioned.

DNA, in my option, is just another tool available to us as genealogists and is best used in combination with conventional research.
Interesting question about how DNA results should be integrated into WikiTree. I don't have any immediate ideas but certainly welcome the discussion.

Valentine Van Zee
in Hendersonville, NC

.