More on DNA results

John Hunter

Jun 25, 2011, 7:53:01 AM6/25/11
to DNA and Wiki Genealogy
In retrospect I need to clarify something about the structure of the
data required. The assumption is that WikiTree is built around a
relational database; it has been a while since I have been near that
"stuff" so I could be entirely wrong, if so ignore this message
altogether.
My guess is that what would be needed is a table with rows and columns
(using layman's terminology) where each row would contain the DNA
results for each profile that has one. The number of columns in the
table would need to be something like 70 or so, one being the profile
identifier and 67 being the results for each gene. The result is
simply a number.
To recreate a web page from that is simple and the result could be an
additional page attached to each profile.
Once there are a number of records in the table a reasonably simple
query could sort and sift the data and find matches and close matches.
If a match is found then existing routines in WikiTree could take over
and open communication channels between the relevant profile owners.
From what I have seen of the DNA data from different testing centres
it is the same both in the genes that are tested and in the order of
presentation of the results. That may not be the case and would need
to be checked. Also a set of rules would need to be developed about
the layout of the file that would be used to upload the data. A simple
csv file should be enough.
Technically I don't see any problem with getting the data into the
system, testing it and notifying the relevant parties if a match is
found.
Why do it?
Simply because there are several testing laboratories and there is
little sharing of data between them. Each seem to carry out broad
match testing (ie across surnames and across geographical areas) but
there seems to be no cooperation between them. Some leakage does
occur, for example in my own surname group results are collected from
a variety of testing laboratories which extends the reach of the
surname group. However the surname is a construct and is an impediment
to the advancement of the research. As I have written previously my
own surname group has many different surnames in it and perhaps a
third have one other surname in particular. The surname is not what
unites us but the DNA record does.
So the reason to include this record in the WikiTree database is to
enable to collection of data in a central point irrespective of the
source of the data.
The yDNA test is only for males and enables the discovery of common
male ancestors within a time period that currently coincides with the
available paper record in many countries. Although the 111 test is
available its use is restricted to differentiating between those that
have an exact match at the 67 marker level. Anything less than 67
would not provide much value in my opinion so the initial results
entered should be restricted to the 67 test results.
Similarly there is no point at this time in including the mtDNA test
results which is the test that is used for women. That DNA does not
have the variation required to be of much use to genealogists.
.