[DmxSimple] Moving head doesn't react

CAT TIME

May 16, 2010, 4:17:56 PM5/16/10
to DmxSimple
Hi, I'm working on a project, about tracking people in a room by
eyesweb, and using the coordinates to controll a Moving head spot via
arduino-dmx-shield, just to make the beam follow the people.

So far, i'm using arduino Duemilanove and the dmx-shield from skpang
electronics, designed by tinker.it!:
http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=140_142&products_id=663
and a showtec micro spot moving head:
http://cgi.ebay.ch/41370-Showtec-Micro-Spot-Licht-Effekte-5-13-Kanaele-/160391111680

I'm not experienced with dmx, so first i tried the video-example of
your group.
It didn't work.
Maybe i did something wrong with the dmx-adressing or something like
this.
The spot is working but he's just doing stand-alone shit! I tried to
find the controll-mode, but i couldn't make it. There are 4 modes:
master-auto-mode; master-sound-control-mode; easy-controller-mode;
slave-mode.

i gave it the adress 001, and tried every mode, no reaction.

Can anybody give me a hint, please?
Lg, Mo

Peter Knight

May 16, 2010, 6:07:27 PM5/16/10
to DmxSimple
Read your lamp manual, and alter the examples.

The examples will NOT work with all lamps unmodified, as each lamp is
controlled differently. You will need to modify the examples, putting
out the correct data on the correct number of channels, to suit your
lamp.

Peter

On May 16, 9:17 pm, CAT TIME <timecat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm working on a project, about tracking people in a room by
> eyesweb, and using the coordinates to controll a Moving head spot via
> arduino-dmx-shield, just to make the beam follow the people.
>
> So far, i'm using arduino Duemilanove and the dmx-shield from skpang
> electronics, designed by tinker.it!:http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=140_142&produc...
> and a showtec micro spot moving head:http://cgi.ebay.ch/41370-Showtec-Micro-Spot-Licht-Effekte-5-13-Kanael...
>
> I'm not experienced with dmx, so first i tried the video-example of
> your group.
> It didn't work.
> Maybe i did something wrong with the dmx-adressing or something like
> this.
> The spot is working but he's just doing stand-alone shit! I tried to
> find the controll-mode, but i couldn't make it. There are 4 modes:
> master-auto-mode; master-sound-control-mode; easy-controller-mode;
> slave-mode.
>
> i gave it the adress 001, and tried every mode, no reaction.

CAT TIME

May 17, 2010, 6:33:35 AM5/17/10
to DmxSimple
I already modified the example to putting out the data on the correct
channel, based on the informations in the manual.
My focus was the movement, so i tried to make it move and stop. I also
sent values for each channel, but had no satisfying reaction.

> - Zitierten Text anzeigen -

CAT TIME

May 17, 2010, 7:00:45 AM5/17/10
to DmxSimple
Another Question i have is: how many channels am i able to controll
with dmxsimple?
I'd need at least 5.

CAT TIME

May 17, 2010, 7:50:19 AM5/17/10
to DmxSimple
Finally the moving head detected the signal but it's still doing weird
stuff.
I started with a demo for the DMX-shield i bought, the code looks like
this:
/* Welcome to DmxSimple. This library allows you to control DMX stage
and
** architectural lighting and visual effects easily from Arduino.
DmxSimple
** is compatible with the Tinker.it! DMX shield and all known DIY
Arduino
** DMX control circuits.
**
** DmxSimple is available from: http://code.google.com/p/tinkerit/
** Help and support: http://groups.google.com/group/dmxsimple */

/* To use DmxSimple, you will need the following line. Arduino will
** auto-insert it if you select Sketch > Import Library > DmxSimple.
*/

/* Modified for use with DMX shield from www.skpang.co.uk Feb 2010 */
/* Tested with ECO LED PAR56 from Pulse. */

#include <DmxSimple.h>

#define RED_CHANNEL 2
#define GRN_CHANNEL 3
#define BLU_CHANNEL 4

int DMX_dir = 2;
int LED2 = 8;
int LED3 = 7;

void setup() {

pinMode(DMX_dir, OUTPUT);
pinMode(LED2, OUTPUT);
// pinMode(LED3, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(DMX_dir, HIGH); // Set direction pin of trasnsceiver
to Tx.

/* The most common pin for DMX output is pin 3, which DmxSimple
** uses by default. If you need to change that, do it here. */
DmxSimple.usePin(3);

/* DMX devices typically need to receive a complete set of channels
** even if you only need to adjust the first channel. You can
** easily change the number of channels sent here. If you don't
** do this, DmxSimple will set the maximum channel number to the
** highest channel you DmxSimple.write() to. */
// DmxSimple.maxChannel(4);
}

void loop() {
int brightness;

digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);

/* Simple loop to ramp up brightness RED */
for (brightness = 0; brightness <= 255; brightness++) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(RED_CHANNEL, brightness);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(5);
}
digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
for (brightness = 255; brightness >= 0; brightness--) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(RED_CHANNEL, brightness);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(5);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);
/* Simple loop to ramp up brightness BLUE */
for (brightness = 0; brightness <= 255; brightness++) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(BLU_CHANNEL, brightness);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(5);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
for (brightness = 255; brightness >= 0; brightness--) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(BLU_CHANNEL, brightness);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(5);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);
/* Simple loop to ramp up brightness GREEN */
for (brightness = 0; brightness <= 255; brightness++) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(GRN_CHANNEL, brightness);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(5);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
for (brightness = 255; brightness >= 0; brightness--) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(GRN_CHANNEL, brightness);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(5);
}
}

I modified it first in this way:

/* Welcome to DmxSimple. This library allows you to control DMX stage
and
** architectural lighting and visual effects easily from Arduino.
DmxSimple
** is compatible with the Tinker.it! DMX shield and all known DIY
Arduino
** DMX control circuits.
**
** DmxSimple is available from: http://code.google.com/p/tinkerit/
** Help and support: http://groups.google.com/group/dmxsimple */

/* To use DmxSimple, you will need the following line. Arduino will
** auto-insert it if you select Sketch > Import Library > DmxSimple.
*/

/* Modified for use with DMX shield from www.skpang.co.uk Feb 2010 */
/* Tested with ECO LED PAR56 from Pulse. */

#include <DmxSimple.h>

#define PAN_CHANNEL 1
#define TILT_CHANNEL 2
#define SHUTTER_CHANNEL 3
#define COLOUR_CHANNEL 4
#define GOBO_CHANNEL 5

[...]

int pan;
int tilt;
int shutter;
int colour;
int gobo;

digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);

/* Simple loop to ramp up brightness RED */
for (pan = 0; pan <= 255; pan++) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(PAN_CHANNEL, pan);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(5);
}
digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
for (pan = 255; pan >= 0; pan--) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(PAN_CHANNEL, pan);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);
/* Simple loop to ramp up brightness BLUE */
for (tilt = 0; tilt <= 255; tilt++) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(TILT_CHANNEL, tilt);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
for (tilt = 255; tilt >= 0; tilt--) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(TILT_CHANNEL, tilt);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);
/* Simple loop to ramp up brightness GREEN */
for (shutter = 8; shutter <= 134; shutter++) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(SHUTTER_CHANNEL, shutter);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
for (shutter = 134; shutter >= 8; shutter--) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(SHUTTER_CHANNEL, shutter);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}
digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);
/* Simple loop to ramp up brightness GREEN */
for (colour = 8; colour <= 21; colour++) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(COLOUR_CHANNEL, shutter);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
for (colour = 21; colour >= 8; colour--) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(COLOUR_CHANNEL, colour);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}
digitalWrite(LED2, HIGH);
/* Simple loop to ramp up brightness GREEN */
for (gobo = 8; gobo <= 21; gobo++) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(GOBO_CHANNEL, gobo);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}

digitalWrite(LED2, LOW);
for (gobo = 21; gobo >= 8; gobo--) {

/* Update DMX channel to new brightness */
DmxSimple.write(GOBO_CHANNEL, gobo);

/* Small delay to slow down the ramping */
delay(2);
}
}

And then i tried to reduce it:

#include <DmxSimple.h>

#define PAN_CHANNEL 1
#define TILT_CHANNEL 2
#define SHUTTER_CHANNEL 3
#define COLOUR_CHANNEL 4
#define GOBO_CHANNEL 5

int DMX_dir = 2;
int LED2 = 8;
int LED3 = 7;
//int LED4 = 6;

void setup() {

pinMode(DMX_dir, OUTPUT);
pinMode(LED2, OUTPUT);
//pinMode(LED3, OUTPUT);
//pinMode(LED4, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(DMX_dir, HIGH); // Set direction pin of trasnsceiver
to Tx.

/* The most common pin for DMX output is pin 3, which DmxSimple
** uses by default. If you need to change that, do it here. */
DmxSimple.usePin(3);

/* DMX devices typically need to receive a complete set of channels
** even if you only need to adjust the first channel. You can
** easily change the number of channels sent here. If you don't
** do this, DmxSimple will set the maximum channel number to the
** highest channel you DmxSimple.write() to. */
// DmxSimple.maxChannel(4);
}

void loop() {
int pan;
int tilt;
int shutter = 255;
int colour = 21;
int gobo = 12;

digitalWrite(DMX_dir, HIGH);

DmxSimple.write(PAN_CHANNEL, 128);

digitalWrite(DMX_dir, HIGH);

DmxSimple.write(TILT_CHANNEL, 128);

DmxSimple.write(SHUTTER_CHANNEL, 255);

DmxSimple.write(COLOUR_CHANNEL, 21);

DmxSimple.write(GOBO_CHANNEL, 12);

}

It reacts somehow to the movement values (in fact not in the correct
way), but there is no reaction to shutter, colour and gobo values.