I think of you through the watches of the night . . . because you are my help. Psalm 63:6-7
Today's Scripture Psalm 63:1-8
Today's Insights Psalm 63 portrays someone who actively pursues God. David declares, “You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you” (v. 1). He praises Him because His “love is better than life” (v. 3). The psalmist discovers that satisfaction isn’t found in what can be held in our hands, but in who can be known. He valued time with God even more than the satisfaction received from eating the finest of foods: “I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you” (v. 5). The language of thirst, longing, and clinging reveals a relationship pursued with intensity and love. Psalm 63 reminds us that intimacy with God grows as we seek God in stillness.
Today's Devotion When I was a kid and got up in the middle of the night, I often found Mom sitting in her chair in the living room. The glow of the table lamp revealed a book on her lap—her Bible. My mom had trouble sleeping because of her insomnia and chronic pain, but she made good use of her time. We rarely spoke those nights. I was too sleepy to do anything but nod and shuffle down the hall. But I know Mom connected with God in those quiet early morning hours, and God spoke to her.
How can we find moments to know God more fully? We don’t have to wait for a sleepless night, of course. Jesus left His companions to spend time talking alone with His Father (Mark 1:35).
The Scriptures say, “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). And David’s poetry often reveals how he sought out an intimate relationship with God to praise Him for who He is (63:1-8).
The world is loud, and we’re often distracted by the noise. It claims our attention and demands our participation. That’s why we need to actively seek out the quiet moments rarely found in the chaos of family life or the busyness of work. We find God in the stillness.
He’s awake. He’s listening. And He’s always ready to spend time with those who seek Him.
Reflect & Pray
What distractions keep you from finding time for conversation with God? What’s a good way to prepare your heart to “be still” before Him?
Dear Jesus, please teach me to seek You out and rest in Your presence. Help me to put aside the distractions and to praise You for who You are. By Cindy Hass Kasper
我在夜间……思想你,因为你曾帮助我。(诗篇 63:6-7)
今日经文:诗篇 63章1-8节
今日洞见:诗篇 63 篇描绘了一个积极寻求神的人。大卫宣告说:“神啊,你是我的神!我要切切地寻求你”(第 1 节)。他赞美神,因为神的“慈爱比生命更好”(第 3 节)。诗人发现,真正的满足感并非来自手中所拥有的物质,而是来自对神的认识。他看重与神相处的时间,甚至胜过享用珍馐美味所带来的满足:“我心里满足,如同饱足了骨髓肥油;我也要以欢乐的嘴唇赞美你”(第 5 节)。文中关于干渴、切慕和紧紧跟随的表达,展现了一种充满热忱与爱意的关系。诗篇 63 篇提醒我们,当我们于静谧中寻求神时,与神之间的亲密关系便会随之增长。
今日灵修:小时候,若我在半夜醒来,常会看见母亲坐在客厅的椅子上。台灯的微光映照出她膝上的一本书,那是她的圣经。母亲因失眠和慢性疼痛而难以入睡,但她善用了这段时间。那些夜晚,我们很少交谈。我当时睡意正浓,除了点头致意、拖着脚步走过走廊外,什么也做不了。但我知道,在那些清晨静谧的时刻,母亲正与神建立连结,而神也在向她说话。
我们该如何寻找时刻来更深地认识上帝呢?当然,我们不必非要等到失眠的夜晚。耶稣也曾离开同伴,独自与天父交谈(马可福音 1:35)。经上说:“你们要休息,要知道我是神”(诗篇 46:10)。大卫的诗篇也常流露出他如何寻求与上帝建立亲密关系,并因上帝的本性而赞美祂(63:1-8)。这个世界喧嚣不已,我们常被各种嘈杂声干扰。这些声音占据了我们的注意力,并要求我们卷入其中。正因如此,我们需要主动寻求那些难得的宁静时刻,在家庭生活的纷扰或工作的忙碌之中,这些时刻往往难以寻觅。我们在静谧中与上帝相遇。 上帝时刻清醒,侧耳倾听,并随时准备与那些寻求祂的人共度时光。
反思与祷告 有哪些干扰因素让你无法抽出时间与神交谈?有什么好方法能预备你的心,好让你在祂面前“安静下来”? 亲爱的耶稣,请教导我寻求祢,并在祢的同在中安息。求祢帮助我放下一切干扰,单单因着祢的本性而赞美祢。
作者:辛迪·哈斯·卡斯珀