Ipad 2020 and DM48, silent play: which adapter

arnaud...@googlemail.com

May 5, 2021, 9:41:19 AM5/5/21
to DM48 Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
Hi everyone,
it's been a while that I had not used my DM48, because:
1) I was not really happy with Windows/Android
2) I was not really comingto my terms with the DM48.

Now, I just received a new Ipad from Work (Covid effect...), and I made a quick try with GarageBand. OK, it works much better.

Still, one of the reasons for me to use the DM48 is the  ability to play silent (if you forget the Darth Vader noises when I blow).
Now, the latest Apple product do not have any dedicated audio output, but are using USB-C.
There exist adapters USB-C jack. But at the same time, the USB-C is used to connect the DM48.

I tried with a bluetooth headphone, but the latency is baaaaaaad.

Therefore my question: Has anyone experience with an USB-C splitter to connect simultaneously the DM48 and an wired headphone?
If yes, is there distortion/delay/latency?
And can you advice such a splitter/adapter?

Thanks, and take care
Arnaud

H M

May 5, 2021, 4:25:31 PM5/5/21
to DM48 Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
I am an admitted Mac/ios snob.  I would not recommend windows or andriod for midi music but thousands use them.  My Macbook has a usb c connector but all my ipads and phones use lighting.  The cable I use from the DM48 is usb A.  I use StarTeck usb bridge that has a usb c connector to my Macbook.  I have a lightning adapter with an audio out for my phones that don't have audio out and use a standard lightning adapter with ipads as they all have audio out.  I will be in the same boat when I upgrade to ipad pro 12.9 2021 so I am also looking for usb c hubs with audio out..  My macbook has audio out.  The bridge should also charge the ipad while you are using it.  I am not going to upgrade unless I find a bridge solution.  Don't see anything in the apple store.  This may work but only has 1 usb a and will not work with a case on, unless you modify your case. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hyperdrive-4-port-usb-c-hub-usb-c-docking-station-for-apple-ipad-pro/6427302.p?skuId=6427302&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=885&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwhMmEBhBwEiwAXwFoESvu1oimHQ4IcFyZQ500X8UxZn6uryS6VRaAaLDdU9xaLNjhNN19rRoCc2AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bluetooth audio does not work for playing live, as you found out.

To save you time, Audio Modeling on ios has a preset for DM48 but you still need to set up the DM48 to get the proper expression.

Darth Vader only comes out if you have your sensitivity too low.

Jason Keene

May 6, 2021, 11:49:45 AM5/6/21
to DM48 Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
Unfortunately, the ipad no headphone jack issue has been a pain, I actually bought a second ipad that was older when my first ipad’s jack went bad, which is unfixable. You can use an interface,  with a usb to MIDI adapter as well, which is how I ended up using the headphone- less ipad, but that cost a few bucks, and its not practical for just hanging around. Ipad has a lower end model that still comes with a headphone jack, which maybe the best solution, but again, will cost a few bucks. The top end plain ipad (not ipad air or pro) comes with a headphone jack for the plebes...cost is 400 bucks for the 32 GB, and about 500 for the 128 GB. Or, you can buy new older “pro” ipads ( with a headphone jack) on ebay for about the same price, but with more storage. The whole Bluetooth convenience for the masses has really screwed the ipad musician, I have dozens of apps which I was using live through a headphone jack that now require an interface, which is two or three more inputs and outputs that can potentially go wrong. I use a Roland Duo for my interface, that can run on batteries, but not for an entire evening. To get into the Roland with the DM48 I also have to use a USB to MIDI adapter, which requires a USB power source. Its kind of ridiculous, but it does work well. Bluetooth is useless for performing, and I rely heavily on some of the newer ipad apps like Korg Module, and the Swam stuff for Audio Modeling. I have a laptop, which simply requires a usb A to Usb C adapter, but I can’t lug it around, or set it up next to the bed for late night practice. Eventually someone may come up with a suitable adapter, I imagine Keyboardists are equally annoyed. The problem for live gigs is you need a THREE way adapter, so you can input the DM via usb, monitor through a headphone jack, and also charge the sucker - because a lot of apps use a considerable amount of juice . That said, I believe there is an adapter that is a USB A to lightning, with a headhone jack that can be used as long as you don’t have to charge it. Suffice to say I was pretty annoyed at ipad and other electronic devices getting rid of direct sources versus bluetooth. The older Ipad pro’s are dropping in price, even new in the box, if they get a little cheaper I may even buy another one as a third backup. Is it ridiculous? Yes. But I love the DM, and its not their fault that Apple decided to screw all the live musicians with the headphoneless ipads. So I poneyed up for the interfaces, and it does work well, but jeeez....cheers, jason

arnaud...@googlemail.com

May 9, 2021, 4:57:23 PM5/9/21
to DM48 Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum

Hi there.
First of all, thanks vor your answers
I ordered a Cheap  usb-c To usb and Jack from Ebay, i will Give you Feedback once i will habe received and tried it.
Jason: this is already a Patin for me as a "sunday Player" and i only Play Setting on my Desk… so I can Imagine on your case (and on a side Note:I love your Videos).

H M

May 9, 2021, 9:08:38 PM5/9/21
to DM48 Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
Jason put me over the edge on the DM48 and is the reason I got the it.  The SWAM on ios came out and I am hooked.
Message has been deleted

arnaud...@googlemail.com

May 21, 2021, 6:50:05 AM5/21/21
to DM48 Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
Hmmm, it looks like my message of last week did not appear. So let's try again:-)

I received the cheap Ebay adapter.
It's working perfectly for my need.
This is this adapter, which is presented in this video

Still, while it works for me, I have to admit that the construction quality is not top notch (really not, it's even quite cheap constrcution), and I can imagine that for serious players, this may lead to distortion and/or quality issues.

Just my two cents
Thanks again for your answers,
Cheers,
Arnaud

Douglas Tanner

May 21, 2021, 10:05:52 PM5/21/21
to arnaud...@googlemail.com, DM48 Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
I have a generation 2 ipad pro that has a headphone jack and it works great.  If I get another I would get the lower level model with the headphone jack or buy an older one reconditioned.

None the of the adapters for the lightning port that have phone jacks have worked very well for me, although there are some the technically do work, sort of  - but some don't work at all and it is really not worth the inconvenience.

I don't get the commitment they have to wireless headphones.  I have them, I use them for some things, but the latency is horrible for anything that requires instantaneous response.

why, o why o why o don't they realize we use these things for music and we need headphone jacks.

doug tanner

H M

May 22, 2021, 1:01:46 PM5/22/21
to DM48 Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
I had a problem with another wind controller not working with my old Apple lightning connected as it needed too much power and I kept getting error messages (EWI SOLO).  I ordered an $11 adapter that also had an audio port and worked just fine on all my ios iphones and ipads.  The link no longer works for mine but this is a similar product https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Headphone-Converter-Lightning-Connector/dp/B08THPSQ83/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=ios+audio+usb+connector&qid=1621702363&sr=8-4

I since sold the EWI but it works with the DM48 but not sure if it is the same as the current one.

Neil Warren

May 5, 2023, 5:21:42 AM5/5/23
to DM48/DM48X Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
Hi all,
found this thread on purchasing an adaptor to use with iPhone or iPad with no headphone socket.
.
Does the DM48X work with a USB C connector: by purchasing a micro USB to USB C cable?
That should allow good quality adaptors to be used with a headphone socket, although I can't find any good quality brands providing USB A connectors.

Looking at this adaptor: