DM48X Update & Unusable!

Cathal Johnson

Apr 22, 2023, 10:50:45 AM4/22/23
to DM48/DM48X Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
Dear all,

I just updates my DM48X with the new DM48X update using the correct update. I successfully updated it and so plugged it out and in again with Slide button pressed in to check to see if the update was successful. It indicated that it was updated. So I unplugged it again to re plug it to check out the new features. But as I did that the DM48X would not turn on and I fear that it has rendered itself unusable.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know a fix for this? What am I to do?

Best,
Cathal

Cathal Johnson

Apr 22, 2023, 10:52:33 AM4/22/23
to DM48/DM48X Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
By the way, I done everything correctly and properly and so I can't understand what happened?

Erik Larsson Lekholm

Apr 22, 2023, 3:27:02 PM4/22/23
to Cathal Johnson, DM48/DM48X Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
Dear Cathal,

When the updating process is interrupted mid-course, the instrument will become non-responsive. It can easily be remedied - see further below.

Most likely you started the update a second time by keeping the slide button pressed long enough for the instrument to enter update mode. If you still have the firmware loader software running on your computer in “Auto” mode (rather than closing it as recommended in the instructions), the update will start again. You mentioned you unplugged it, and I’m guessing this happened while a second update was ongoing.

To fix this, you need to open your instrument (please follow manual carefully, last page). Find a small hole in the circuit board on the left side when the mouthpiece is facing toward you. The hole is underneath two cables (red/black) that may need to be gently pushed aside.

Start the firmware loader and connect the instrument. Now press a small button accessible through the hole in the circuit board using a _non conductive_ pin such as a match (to avoid short circuiting something by mistake). Click “program” or “auto” and the update should start (unless it has already started). Let it complete and then _close the loader software_. You can now safely do whatever you like, including entering update mode again.

After this, don’t forget to keep following the updating instructions. A factory reset may now be needed (definitely for v1.14 - but not necessarily for other updates). This is done by holding all three top buttons during power-up until a confirmation is shown on the DM48(X). Tunings typically do not need to be reset (but to get the new default tunings in 1.14 it is needed). Do this by holding the three buttons even longer, until a second confirmation message is shown.

Erik

Cathal Johnson

Apr 22, 2023, 5:03:28 PM4/22/23
to Erik Larsson Lekholm, DM48/DM48X Digital Chromatic Harmonica User Forum
Dear Erik,

Thanks for the update. That worked a treat and I have now fully restored it and updated it with the new updates and tunings! Thanks a million Erik for your time on a Saturday, much appreciated.

I look forward to checking out all the new features and tunings. Many of which I have tuned manually on chromatics and diatonics harmonicas. This is so handy for tuning purposes too.

Thank you again and I will respond to your previous email during the week.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Best,
Cathal
--