GSDL language interface - translation issues

Aminath

Aug 29, 2010, 9:11:11 PM8/29/10
to Digital Library Network-South Asia
Dear team,

I need advice on the translation bit for GSDL.

Dhivehi (our language) is written right to left. In this case how do
we deal with the html tags when we translate?

For instance,

The text to translate is as follows:
<b>snail & farming</b> will match documents which contain both

The translaton (pls read it from right to left):
b>ފިނިހަކަ& ފާމިންގ<b>

The html tags are in the reverse order. Will this work???!!!!

Thanks
Aminath

PS:
snail = ފިނިހަކަ
farming = ފާމިންގ
AND = އަދި

Shiva Ram Shrestha

Sep 5, 2010, 7:39:12 AM9/5/10
to Digital Library Network-South Asia
Dear Aminath,

I dont think we can write html tags in reverse way. HTML tags should
be in english format ( means html tags cannot be in local language)
and the tags only formats the way how the browser presents the text
that appear between the opening and closing tags.

Regard,
Shiva Ram Shrestha
Healthnet Nepal

Aminath riyaz

Sep 5, 2010, 7:56:43 AM9/5/10
to dlne...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shiva,

Thanks for the reply.
I had some discussions with IT people from this end just a couple of days back. And they are of the view that since it is Unicode it would not matter - but they weren't 100% sure.

I guess we'll just have to use the HTML tags in left to right order while our text runs in reverse order.
Will see how it goes.

Regards,
Aminath
Aminath Riyaz