WordNet based measures

José Martínez

Mar 5, 2018, 6:59:57 PM3/5/18
to DKPro Similarity Users
Hello,

How can I run a WordNet-based semantic similarity measure ?
I'm trying to compile dkpro with maven but maybe the dependencies are no longer available. Is there a compiled Jar ? could you please give me some recommendations and/or examples?

thank you,
José

Torsten Zesch

Mar 7, 2018, 3:10:40 PM3/7/18
to José Martínez, DKPro Similarity Users
Dear José,

the WordNet-based measures require the DKPro LSR project that is currently not on maven central due to license issues.
However, you should be able to use it when either putting the LSR project in your workspace or installing the dependencies manually.

-Torsten

José Martínez

Mar 7, 2018, 5:29:58 PM3/7/18
to Torsten Zesch, DKPro Similarity Users
Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your answer, I installed DKPro dependencies manually and was able to run the similarity comparator based on WordNet 3.0. My main concern now is whether the results are correct because I obtained slightly different results to the ones provided by http://maraca.d.umn.edu/cgi-bin/similarity/similarity.cgi (WordNet::Similarity WordNet 3.0). For example, given the following pair of words and running WuPalmerComparator (for my DKPro implementation and the Web service), my results are as follows:

Words DKPro(local) WordNet::Similarity
car-automobile 1.0 1.0
gem-jewel 1.0 1.0
journey-voyage=0.8571428571428571 0.9565
boy-lad=0.7692307692307693 0.9524
coast-shore=0.7272727272727273 0.9231
asylum-madhouse=0.8571428571428571 0.9565
magician-wizard=1.0 1.0
midday-noon=1.0 1.0
furnace-stove=0.42105263157894735 0.5714
food-fruit=0.26666666666666666 0.4706

Do you believe that such results are fine according to different algorithm implementations? is there a way that my local compilation went wrong and the results vary?

Please let me know your opinion or recommendations and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,
José

Torsten Zesch

Mar 9, 2018, 3:12:04 PM3/9/18
to José Martínez, DKPro Similarity Users
Hi José,

interesting.
I don't think it is a problem with your version. DKPro Similarity returns those results and I have currently no idea how to interpret the variance.
Is there also a difference in the other measures, or is it only WuPalmer?

-Torsten

José Martínez

Mar 9, 2018, 6:00:08 PM3/9/18
to Torsten Zesch, DKPro Similarity Users
Hi Torsten,
using Lin Comparator the results are:

Words DKPro(local) WordNet::Similarity
car-automobile=1.0 1.0
gem-jewel=1.0 1.0
journey-voyage=0.8403386817522845 0.8277
boy-lad=0.8504397740207656 0.7979
coast-shore=0.9852307446559548 0.9632
asylum-madhouse=0.9684051384601088 0.9813
magician-wizard=1.0 1.0
midday-noon=1.0 1.0
furnace-stove=0.21814634256802945 0.2294
food-fruit=0.16127400912797896 0.1559

Thanks for your comments.

Torsten Zesch

Mar 11, 2018, 4:36:38 PM3/11/18
to José Martínez, DKPro Similarity Users
Hi José,

at least the values are a bit closer.

There could always be subtle differences in the implementations. When we developed the library the measures, we did not work from a certain implementation, but from the description in the papers.
We might also use a slightly different WordNet version.

-Torsten

Torsten Zesch

Mar 12, 2018, 9:02:12 AM3/12/18
to José Martínez, DKPro Similarity Users
Another comment: for debugging it would be interesting if you could share the resources.xml you are using for your experiments.

-Torsten