using SemEval 2013 baseline

Anna Kazantseva

Dec 10, 2013, 2:15:38 PM12/10/13
to dkpro-simil...@googlegroups.com

Hi everybody,

I have yet another question about DKProSimilarity. I would like to use the model specified as SemEval 2013 baseline to measure similarity between pairs of sentences on the fly. What is the best way to go about it?

I managed to get dkpro.similarity.experiments.sts2013baseline.Pipeline to train/test and it seems to work. I want now to load the model and repeatedly run it on pairs of sentences. Is creating another UIMA pipeline the best way to go about it?  Or is there another possibility?

Thanks in advance,

Anna

Torsten Zesch

Dec 10, 2013, 4:28:22 PM12/10/13
to Anna Kazantseva, DKPro Similarity Users

Hey Anna.

If train/test already works, the easiest way would be to just add another dataset to be tested that contains your text pairs.

In case you want to do real "on-the-fly" computation, I have added a new class to the sts-2013-baseline module that shows the general principle.
However, there still seems to be a bug that I cannot find right now.

I also want to note that there is an implementation of the STS task using the new and more flexible DKPro Text Classification framework:

Torsten Zesch

Dec 10, 2013, 4:42:08 PM12/10/13
to DKPro Similarity Users
ok, found and fixed the bug.
OnTheFlyComputation pipeline should now work.

-Torsten

Anna Kazantseva

Dec 13, 2013, 3:41:03 PM12/13/13
to dkpro-simil...@googlegroups.com
Hi Torsten,

Thank you so much for that class and for all your help. I will try see if I can use it right away.

But in the meanwhile, I was trying to use the first way that you suggested, i.e., by creating a dataset. But for some reason now my dkpro.similarity.experiments.sts2013baseline.Pipeline no longer works in Test mode (either -T or -S). It works in train mode though (-D). The error I get in test mode is the following (it occurs after features are generated and after arffs are generated too):

[.....]
Generating ARFF file
 - done
Generating ARFF file
 - done
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.springframework.core.io.support.PathMatchingResourcePatternResolver).
log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more info.
Exception in thread "main" org.apache.uima.resource.ResourceInitializationException: Unexpected Exception thrown when initializing Custom Resource "dkpro.similarity.uima.resource.ml.LinearRegressionResource" from descriptor "<unknown>".
    at org.apache.uima.impl.CustomResourceFactory_impl.produceResource(CustomResourceFactory_impl.java:94)
    at org.apache.uima.impl.CompositeResourceFactory_impl.produceResource(CompositeResourceFactory_impl.java:62)
    at org.apache.uima.UIMAFramework.produceResource(UIMAFramework.java:269)
    at org.apache.uima.UIMAFramework.produceResource(UIMAFramework.java:243)
    at org.apache.uima.resource.impl.ResourceManager_impl.registerResource(ResourceManager_impl.java:573)
    at org.apache.uima.resource.impl.ResourceManager_impl.initializeExternalResources(ResourceManager_impl.java:450)
    at org.apache.uima.resource.Resource_ImplBase.initialize(Resource_ImplBase.java:182)
    at org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.AnalysisEngineImplBase.initialize(AnalysisEngineImplBase.java:157)
    at org.apache.uima.analysis_engine.impl.PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.initialize(PrimitiveAnalysisEngine_impl.java:123)
    at org.apache.uima.impl.AnalysisEngineFactory_impl.produceResource(AnalysisEngineFactory_impl.java:94)
    at org.apache.uima.impl.CompositeResourceFactory_impl.produceResource(CompositeResourceFactory_impl.java:62)
    at org.apache.uima.UIMAFramework.produceResource(UIMAFramework.java:269)
    at org.apache.uima.UIMAFramework.produceResource(UIMAFramework.java:314)
    at org.apache.uima.UIMAFramework.produceAnalysisEngine(UIMAFramework.java:425)
    at org.apache.uima.fit.factory.AnalysisEngineFactory.createEngine(AnalysisEngineFactory.java:204)
    at org.apache.uima.fit.factory.AnalysisEngineFactory.createEngine(AnalysisEngineFactory.java:278)
    at dkpro.similarity.experiments.sts2013baseline.util.Evaluator.runLinearRegression(Evaluator.java:90)
    at dkpro.similarity.experiments.sts2013baseline.Pipeline.runTest(Pipeline.java:150)
    at dkpro.similarity.experiments.sts2013baseline.Pipeline.main(Pipeline.java:96)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Errors initializing [class dkpro.similarity.uima.resource.ml.LinearRegressionResource]
Field 'logFilter' is required
    at org.apache.uima.fit.component.initialize.ConfigurationParameterInitializer.initialize(ConfigurationParameterInitializer.java:178)
    at org.apache.uima.fit.component.initialize.ConfigurationParameterInitializer.initialize(ConfigurationParameterInitializer.java:200)
    at org.apache.uima.fit.component.initialize.ConfigurationParameterInitializer.initialize(ConfigurationParameterInitializer.java:214)
    at org.apache.uima.fit.component.Resource_ImplBase.initialize(Resource_ImplBase.java:57)
    at dkpro.similarity.uima.resource.ml.LinearRegressionResource.initialize(LinearRegressionResource.java:35)
    at org.apache.uima.impl.CustomResourceFactory_impl.produceResource(CustomResourceFactory_impl.java:92)
    ... 18 more

Thanks for any ideas!

Anna

Anna Kazantseva

Dec 13, 2013, 3:45:29 PM12/13/13
to dkpro-simil...@googlegroups.com
Hello again Torsten,

It seems that OnTheFlyComputation gives me the same error in much the same place ( after generating an ARFF). Must be I am doing something wrong...

*********************

[...]
    at dkpro.similarity.experiments.sts2013baseline.OnTheFlyComputation.main(OnTheFlyComputation.java:72)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Errors initializing [class dkpro.similarity.uima.resource.ml.LinearRegressionResource]
Field 'logFilter' is required
    at org.apache.uima.fit.component.initialize.ConfigurationParameterInitializer.initialize(ConfigurationParameterInitializer.java:178)
    at org.apache.uima.fit.component.initialize.ConfigurationParameterInitializer.initialize(ConfigurationParameterInitializer.java:200)
    at org.apache.uima.fit.component.initialize.ConfigurationParameterInitializer.initialize(ConfigurationParameterInitializer.java:214)
    at org.apache.uima.fit.component.Resource_ImplBase.initialize(Resource_ImplBase.java:57)
    at dkpro.similarity.uima.resource.ml.LinearRegressionResource.initialize(LinearRegressionResource.java:35)
    at org.apache.uima.impl.CustomResourceFactory_impl.produceResource(CustomResourceFactory_impl.java:92)
    ... 17 more
********************

Torsten Zesch

Dec 13, 2013, 3:56:00 PM12/13/13
to DKPro Similarity Users
Hi Anna,

this is related to a bug that I recently found.
I already fixed this in the latest snapshot version.
If you found the OnTheFlyComputation, I am assuming that you have
checked out the latest snapshot.
Please try an update from SVN to get the fix.
It should work then, if not just get back to the list :)

-Torsten

2013/12/13 Anna Kazantseva <mmac...@gmail.com>:

Anna Kazantseva

Dec 15, 2013, 3:35:25 PM12/15/13
to dkpro-simil...@googlegroups.com
Hi Torsten,

Thanks so much for that example, after I updated all packages it works fine. This will make my life so much easier!

Could I please ask you for some details about the upper and lower bounds of that text similarity metric (one used in the UKP Semeval STS system in 2012)? For the examples that you provide in your code I get 2.1834 ('This is an example.' vs.  'I need an example.') and 1.4733 ('Example this is.' vs. 'Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.'). If I try two identical sentences I get something around 2.95. So I guess the result is not normalized to be between 0 and 1. What are the bounds? Does it depend on the length of the text? I am asking because I would like to incorporate the results of my own metric, very different but the two numbers must be somehow normalized to be in the same range.

I tried to find the answer in the paper 'UKP: Computing Semantic Textual Similarity by Combining Multiple Content Similarity Measures' but it does not seem to be there. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance!

Anna

Torsten Zesch

Dec 15, 2013, 5:17:27 PM12/15/13
to DKPro Similarity Users
The STS data has been annotated in the range from 0 and 5 and the
system learns to output a number in the same range.
Single measures mostly use [0,1] intervalls.

-Torsten

2013/12/15 Anna Kazantseva <mmac...@gmail.com>:

>> > --

Anna Kazantseva

Dec 16, 2013, 2:54:03 PM12/16/13
to dkpro-simil...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot, that what I needed to know!

Anna

>> > --

Anna Kazantseva

Dec 29, 2013, 9:44:34 PM12/29/13
to dkpro-simil...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Torsten and everybody,

I hope I can ask another question about the STS baseline. Using dkpro.similarity.experiments.sts2013baseline.OnTheFlyComputation I managed to measure similarity between arbitrary pairs on sentences on the fly, just as I needed. But the problem is that with writing out arffs for each pair, this is really quite slow.

Torsten suggested that a better way may be to create another dataset containing my pairs of sentences and then classify those. However, I am still mostly interested in similarity between pair of sentences, not the overall result for a dataset. How can I extract individual judgements after running the system? What classes should I be looking at?

Thanks for any help!

Anna

>> > --

Torsten Zesch

Jan 4, 2014, 8:02:48 AM1/4/14
to DKPro Similarity Users
Hi Anna,

happy New Year.

If you just want to output the computed scores for a set of sentence
pairs, you can have a look at the "Evaluator" class.

It should be quite easy to simply output the computed scores.

-Torsten

2013/12/30 Anna Kazantseva <mmac...@gmail.com>:

>> > --

shashi parashar

Mar 6, 2017, 12:48:28 AM3/6/17
to DKPro Similarity Users
Hi Zesch,

I have to train a model based on the following training data set attributes.
pair_ID sentence_A sentence_B relatedness_score(0-5) entailment_judgment

I want to use dkpro-similarity-experiments-sts-2013-baseline-gpl to train the model. Do I need to tailor my training data set to use this pipeline?
Could you please point me to the java files to achieve this?

Best,
Shashi

Torsten Zesch

Mar 6, 2017, 2:47:44 PM3/6/17
to shashi parashar, DKPro Similarity Users

shashi

Mar 6, 2017, 3:07:15 PM3/6/17
to Torsten Zesch, DKPro Similarity Users
Thank you Mr. Zesch.

But It's giving me following error:

Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM : Could not find artifact org.dkpro.similarity:dkpro-similarity-experiments:pom:2.2.0 in ukp-oss-releases (http://zoidberg.ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/artifactory/public-releases/) and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM pom.xml /com.shashi.test
line 3 Maven pom Loading Problem

Is there an updated version of this pom?

Have a nice day!

Best,
Shashi

Torsten Zesch

Mar 6, 2017, 3:18:43 PM3/6/17
to shashi, DKPro Similarity Users
That is hard to resolve from here.
Are you using the latest snapshot?
I think you need to checkout at least all the experiment projects including the experiments-parent in order to make this work.

-Torsten