Call for Speaker Mentors

Jeff Triplett

Apr 17, 2015, 9:41:55 AM4/17/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

What does everyone think about having a speaker mentor program for DjangoCon US? We have less than a month until our submission deadline and I think it'd help encourage more first time speakers or speakers who would like more feedback.

DjangoCon EU organized an amazing group of speaker mentors this year (http://2015.djangocon.eu/proposals/speaker-mentors/) and it was well received. Would any speakers on the list have time and be willing to help mentor?

Regards,
Jeff

Daniele Procida

Apr 17, 2015, 9:44:16 AM4/17/15
On Fri, Apr 17, 2015, Jeff Triplett <jeff.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

>DjangoCon EU organized an amazing group of speaker mentors this year (
>http://2015.djangocon.eu/proposals/speaker-mentors/) and it was well
>received. Would any speakers on the list have time and be willing to help
>mentor?

I'm happy to!

Daniele

Eric Holscher

Apr 17, 2015, 9:44:46 AM4/17/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
+1. Happy to volunteer. I know the Django Girls have been doing some outreach along these lines on Twitter, so it would be awesome.

I believe Justin Abrahams in PDX was also interested in helping. We'd likely be able to do a PDX workshop for local folks, as well as doing one online.

I could follow up with the Pyladies & Django Girls in PDX, if we want to make it a formal Djangocon-sponsored event.

Cheers,
Eric

--

---

Eric Holscher
Maker of the internet residing in Portland, Or
http://ericholscher.com

Mark Lavin

Apr 17, 2015, 2:29:08 PM4/17/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm by no means an expert speaker but I would be willing to donate my time to mentor someone interested in speaking. That is if it doesn't preclude me from having my own talk submission(s) by creating a conflict of interest.

Best,

Mark

Jeff Triplett

Apr 17, 2015, 2:52:12 PM4/17/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone! Is linking to your Twitter account or website the easiest way to put someone in touch with you or feel free to email me if you have a preferred method of contact?

Hi Mark, I appreciate your concern and I think the easiest way to avoid a conflict of interest is if the person you are mentoring has the same talk idea then please send them to me or suggest another mentor for them. Either is fine and I hope you do submit a talk!

--

---

Russell Keith-Magee

Apr 17, 2015, 9:29:52 PM4/17/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com

Count me in.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

--

---

Andrew Godwin

Apr 17, 2015, 11:20:11 PM4/17/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
I am also happy to mentor people, review talks, etc. - linking to my twitter account or email directly is fine.

Andrew

Kenneth Love

Apr 18, 2015, 6:09:50 PM4/18/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to provide feedback either through this email address or my twitter account (@kennethlove).

Jeff Triplett

Apr 20, 2015, 11:20:30 PM4/20/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you everyone! I'll compile the list and get something posted / announced tomorrow.

--

---

Idan Gazit

Apr 21, 2015, 3:50:51 AM4/21/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm in too, though I won't be at the conference.