Track changes made by front-end users

anupa...@gmail.com

May 16, 2017, 3:18:24 AM5/16/17
to django-reversion discussion group
Hi

I have a web-app that crowdsources information about entities through simple forms. Users can either edit information of an existing entity or add a new entity. I want to track any changes that these users make in a history (like in a wiki) and this history may also be visible to the users in the long run.

After searching through different solutions/libraries for Django, it seems django-reversion would be very helpful here. I have set it up and done the admin integration but it seems, out-of-the-box  it supports edits made by the admin users only. I added a new entity from the frontend and it didnt appear in the history.

I have seen some SO posts that also discuss the above use-case and django-reversion being helpful. My question is, is django-reversion good for the above usecase? If yes, is there a quick switch/confirguration to track all model changes including those that happen through the app (alongwith user details of users making the changes, again coming in from the app).

thanks a bunch
Anupam

anupa...@gmail.com

May 16, 2017, 6:15:00 AM5/16/17
to django-reversion discussion group, anupa...@gmail.com

Dave Hall

May 16, 2017, 6:16:26 AM5/16/17
to django-reversion discussion group, anupa...@gmail.com
You got it!

Anupam Jain

May 16, 2017, 6:34:24 AM5/16/17
to Dave Hall, django-reversion discussion group
Dave,

I have been reading many google group posts, issues on the repo, etc. about django-reversion since I started using it yesterday and I must commend your persistence in proactively responding back to queries, for all these years. Thats pretty consistent, is not common and is appreciated.
(Sorry, not very relevant to this thread but wanted to explicitly mention it somewhere!)

best,
Anupam

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Dave Hall <da...@etianen.com> wrote:
You got it!