Choosing database - sqlite or other?

Aaron Kim

Sep 14, 2016, 4:05:48 AM9/14/16
to django-oscar
I've gone through a demo site build and it was great to follow. Database structure was created from oscar model without issues and I've added some product info, etc. Before I progress customizing any further, I would like to know whether I should change the database to another, more robust and better performing one or not. Is sqlite database good enough to handle a small shopping mall with transactions expected to be less than 1000 a day? Absolute beginner question I know. Please share your opinion, experiences with sqlite and other successful database choice with oscar.

Stéphane Kanschine

Sep 14, 2016, 10:04:29 AM9/14/16
to django...@googlegroups.com

Hey !

Le mer. 14 sept., vers 01:05, Aaron Kim exprimait :
It's not, because sqlite lock the file for every query.

So if you got 2 customers at the same moment, oscar won't be able to
query the database.

Choose PostgreSQL, it has a better integration with Django orm, i get
again yesterday problem with MySQL and Django migrations.

Best regards,
Stéphane KANSCHINE - http://www.hexack.fr./ - http://www.nuajik.com./

Eugene Kirillov

Sep 14, 2016, 10:23:42 AM9/14/16
to django...@googlegroups.com
Totally agree with Stéphane’s database selection i have to admit that you will have issues with geospatial data in MySQL and also might have this issues with sqlite(for example sqlite with geospatial extension on OS X is hell of compiling).
Yes there is problem of locks but you will not get it from 2 customers if their transactions will not be complex but more customers more locking needs :)

There is a lock timeout option in the django settings

On 14 Sep 2016, at 20:02, Stéphane Kanschine <car...@hexecho.net> wrote:.

--
https://github.com/tangentlabs/django-oscar
http://django-oscar.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Aaron Kim

Sep 14, 2016, 11:04:48 AM9/14/16
to django-oscar
Thank you for the great info. I could have gone too far. BTW, I tend not to use Postgres because Azure web app doesn't provide Postgres as a service. Is MySql or MSSQL good fit with Oscar and Django as well?

Aaron Kim

Sep 14, 2016, 11:08:36 AM9/14/16
to django-oscar
Try to use Azure web app but if MySQL also has an issue like that, it really seems that I would need to go for heroku eventually.