Per-product shipping rates

John-Scott Atlakson

Sep 14, 2016, 3:01:11 PM9/14/16
to django-oscar
According to the 'key questions' doc:

Oscar provides classes for free shipping, fixed charge shipping, pre-order and per-product item charges and weight-based charges.

Can anyone point out how per-product shipping charges can be set using Oscar? I can't find any obvious model/class in the source code that would enable such a thing. AbstractOrderAndItemCharges does not do this, since it has no knowledge of individual products.

Our use-case is quantity-based shipping that varies on a per-product basis. E.g. product X is $5 shipping for 1 item, $4 per item if 5 or more are ordered, etc. Product Y is $10 shipping each but if 10 items are ordered, then shipping is $8 each, etc.

We can create a custom class to track this, but would vastly prefer to leverage built in functionality if it exists.

Thanks,
John-Scott

Nick Albright

Sep 15, 2016, 9:35:22 AM9/15/16
to django-oscar
I've poked around a bit in the shipping module before, and I think what he may be referring to in "per-product item charges", must be the OrderAndItemCharges, which is just a fixed price for each item.

At best I think you could hope for quantity based shipping, but I think quantity based per-product you will definitely have to go custom.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can show otherwise.

Hope this helps!

John-Scott Atlakson

Sep 15, 2016, 7:24:03 PM9/15/16
to django-oscar
That was my suspicion as well. After spelunking through the code a bit more, it's now quite clear this is not an actual built-in feature of Oscar.

We ended up implementing a quick and dirty custom model to track this which is only editable in the Django admin until we figure out how to add it to the product detail 'Sections' nav of the dashboard.