Other Newsroom Projects

Miles Skorpen

May 13, 2009, 1:40:28 PM5/13/09
to Django Newsroom
Hey folks,

I was browsing and found your project and noted your Knight quest. Did
you guys know that Knight founded a Django newspaper CMS project last
year (The Populous Project — http://www.populousproject.com/ — it is
due to be released this summer)? Also, some folks from Yale are in the
process of releasing Courant News ( http://code.courantnews.com/blog/welcome
), and my school paper (daily.swarthmore.edu) is running a Django
install. You should get in touch with us all tons of scattered
projects replicating the same work seems unnecessary.

Miles
(from CoPress.org)

Milan Andric

May 13, 2009, 2:15:47 PM5/13/09
to Django Newsroom
Hey Miles,

I also prefer to do less re-inventing of wheels but each of these
wheels may be a little different. For one, django-newsroom is not
focused on a daily type of publication, but more a magazine style.
Also one recent shift we made is building on Pinax. This also
diverges from Courant and the others.

I believe each of these projects will be developed as first generation
software and in proper open source fashion the following generation
will take the best things from each of them and create something even
better. If each project can produce some re-useable Django apps that
will be the big win in terms of re-using wheels. So one day the
developer can quickly build the newsroom tailored to their publication
and organization. That's idea and strength behind Pinax and Django
anyway ... re-usable apps. So the project itself is not a wheel, but
pieces of functionality within it are.

As far as populous, when we started this project we tried to get
access to the source code but were unsuccessful.

Thanks for the feedback/interest ... Courant looks really cool.

--
Milan