Darn Good Install Docs (and more)

johntynan

Mar 27, 2009, 7:11:23 PM3/27/09
to Django Newsroom
Milan has been doing some great coding on an aggregation app.

He's also put some great documentation together for installing django
newsroom:

http://code.google.com/p/django-newsroom/source/browse/trunk/INSTALL

It follows some of the conventions that Pinax is using.

If you would like to get started hacking along with us. Feel free to
give it a shot!

John T.

Milan Andric

Mar 27, 2009, 11:56:47 PM3/27/09
to django-...@googlegroups.com
Hey John, thanks, well the install docs could use some work too, but,
we have a start. So John and I are working on the needs for News21
right now, but this will eventually become django-newsroom.

What we are confronting right now are:

=Stories=

ASU is counting on us providing them with a place to publish their
stories, so we need to create a story manager that allows you to embed
media and handle flash projects.

=Blogs=

This is your typical blog setup but we hope to also use the same
functionality as the story application to deal with media and
embedding.

=Aggregation=

Since news21 is basically a host of affiliated sites, meaning that
each school this year will likely publish on their own domains with
their own tools, we need to build a system to allow affiliates to be
aggregated into the system. For now this just means an aggregator
that consumes xml (rss,etc) and gives the editor control over how the
content is displayed on the news21.com (parent) site.

=Features=

In a similar vane as aggregation, the features system allows an
affiliate to submit a feature. A feature could be a story or a blog
or project that some author wants to syndicate on the site. A feature
would have some images and links associated with it so that an editor
can use the raw materials to piece together a front page.

=People=

We need a way to give presence to the authors, this will be your
typical profile page.

So that's all for now, please impart your wisdoms, disregard the fact
it may not apply to our short-term goals with News21. I'd like to
know your thoughts and if you find some of these features useful, I
have a feeling News21 will find it useful too. Once we get the core
stuff out of the way we can turn to more cool stuff.

When the code starts to resemble news21 more than django-newsroom I
plan to branch it and keep trunk more generic. But I don't see that
being much of a problem because the framework really allows us to
abstract away all the presentation and media, so the backend remains
generic. Oh we also have one developer who is going to help us from
Lincoln Loop. So in the coming weeks we should make some progress.

Your contributions are greatly appreciated but I know everyone is
busy. Chime in if you have time, otherwise we'll keep you posted when
we have a demo up.

--
Milan