new URL localization tool

Sam Bull

Nov 30, 2010, 5:29:27 PM11/30/10
to django-mu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I open sourced some tools that I helped develop a while ago and I figured it was time to start beating the drum and sharing the news.

The tool's called Transurlvania. It does what localeurl does without using monkey patching, so that's neat, but it also makes it possible to localize the URLs themselves (so that the natural language words in the URLs can be translated).

You can check it out on github here: https://github.com/trapeze/transurlvania

And I just posted an blog post about it here: http://www.pocketuniverse.ca/archive/2010/november/30/urls-multi-lingual-sites-solution/

Let me know what you think!

Sam

Panos Laganakos

Nov 30, 2010, 7:12:58 PM11/30/10
to django-mu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sam,

Really interesting project!

Not sure how I feel about localized URLs though, is this sane? I
always just differentiate by /<language_id>/path

> --

Panos Laganakos

Sam Bull

Nov 30, 2010, 8:11:02 PM11/30/10
On 2010-11-30, at 7:12 PM, Panos Laganakos <panos.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Sam,
>
> Really interesting project!

Thanks!

> Not sure how I feel about localized URLs though, is this sane? I
> always just differentiate by /<language_id>/path

I think ideally you should have both. The language code for the server to read, and the words in the URL translated for the user to read. I think of wikipedia as the template.

Sam

Роман Супроткін

Dec 1, 2010, 4:04:47 AM12/1/10
to django-mu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

Very interesting project

Best regards,
Roman Suprotkin

Iván Raskovsky

Dec 1, 2010, 6:39:34 AM12/1/10
to django-mu...@googlegroups.com
Very nice! I was just trying to do this last week, but decided to
stick with localeurl. I'll port it shortly, great timing! Thanks,
Iván