0.9.0 release and the future of django-mptt

Craig de Stigter

Dec 8, 2017, 8:26:30 PM12/8/17
to django-mptt-dev
Hi everyone

0.9 release

I've released django-mptt 0.9.0. This release is a year's worth of code, but the changes are fairly minor:

  • Add support for Django 1.11 and 2.0
  • Add Danish and Ukrainian translations
  • Rollup the last year worth of minor bug fixes

Thanks to all those who worked on the project this last year.

The reason for the slow pace is partly that the project is fairly mature, and partly that I've been almost entirely hands off. I haven't actually used django-mptt for a while, and so I rarely work on it.

My new Tree Things project

There are several issues with the MPTT data structure when it's used in a highly-concurrent environment (like say, a website ;) ). The regular posting of integrity errors to the Issues list is evidence of that. They're usually unfixable, because mptt is unfortunately just not very good for writes, by design.

For that reason I've built the core of a new app which does things quite a different way, and avoids a lot of the integrity issues that mptt has been prone to. It also should be much faster for writes, though I haven't done any benchmarking.

The new project is django-mpathy , and right now it's an alpha-quality experiment. It doesn't yet have any releases, and it only supports Postgres and django 1.11+. (It also might get a rename soon when I think of a good name!)

If anyone's interested in helping out with it please contact me at crai...@gmail.com or via github. If you think you'd be interested once it matures a bit, please star the repo.

In search of new maintainers

I haven't been very active in responding to issues or PRs. I'd like to say I'll do better, but that's not likely to happen since I don't use the project anymore.

The other current committer is Matthias, and he's done a much better job than I have. But I understand he's fairly busy with other things too.

If anyone else would like to step up, now would be the time. I look forward to giving a few more people committer access.

Happy holidays!

Craig de Stigter

Gary Reynolds

Mar 23, 2018, 6:18:11 AM3/23/18
to django-mptt-dev
G'day Craig,

I'd be happy to take on some maintenance duties for django-mptt – it's a dependency in many of my projects and I have a couple of open pull requests I'd like to see merged.

As you say it's very stable, which is why I'd rather maintain it so I can continue to use it than have to switch it out as Django continues to move forward.

My github handle is @goodtune if you want to add me to the repo.

Thanks,
Gary

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Touch Technology. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Touch Technology accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

Craig de Stigter

Mar 23, 2018, 6:32:49 AM3/23/18
to django-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Gary! I've added you to the repo :)

Gary Reynolds

Jul 30, 2018, 4:27:20 PM7/30/18
to django-mptt-dev
Hi Craig,

Are you able to add me as a release maintainer on PyPi because I'd like to be able to configure travis to deploy on tags, but at the moment I am unable to upload a new package.

I'd like to remove that barrier, we have had a few changes since 0.9.0 was released.

Thanks,
Gary

Craig de Stigter

Jul 30, 2018, 5:50:40 PM7/30/18