Maintenance Status?

isolationism

Sep 7, 2022, 2:06:11 PM9/7/22
to django-mptt-dev
The project lists itself as unmaintained, but there have been a number of merges in 2022 with a flurry of activity in August.

Has there been some renewed interest in maintaining the project and the message should be reconsidered, or is this just courtesy short-term maintenance work?

I have some code that depends on this project and have been planning a port to django-treebeard, but having seen the recent activity today I thought inquiring first might save me some effort.

Eraldo Energy

Sep 8, 2022, 1:59:22 AM9/8/22
to django-...@googlegroups.com
I’m in a similar situation and I’m glad you ask. :)

Love,
Eraldo

--
/============================================
| E r a l d o    E n e r g y
| Founder & Life Mentorwww.coLegend.com
Dancer: Salsa, Bachata, Kizomba & Co.
|--------------------------------------------
\============================================
Be Awesome! Love with an Open Heart! And Live a Legendary Life.. Today!

Matthias Kestenholz

Sep 8, 2022, 2:07:21 AM9/8/22
to django-...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

See https://github.com/django-mptt/django-mptt/pull/776 and the issue tracker for why the project is listed as unmaintained.

I'm still using django-mptt in a few projects which still are in active development (some over 10 years old these days); also, https://github.com/feincms/feincms still uses mptt under the hood.

I've switched all new projects to use https://github.com/matthiask/django-tree-queries/ (feincms3 depends on it) and I'm very happy with it. The performance of recursive CTEs is very good, sufficient by far, and there's no way to corrupt mptt attributes (since there aren't any). Also, there's no freeloaders complaining about missing release notes etc. etc. (As a user of packages I understand them, but my solution was always either to abandon ship or help out, not complaining.)

So, long story short: I still have commit and PyPI access, I still review pull requests if I feel like it and I may even push a release in time, but the knowledge that people will complain about missing release notes make it so much harder when I'm not scratching my own itch (which luckily is getting smaller and smaller)

I hope this clears things up. And maybe someone even steps up to help with or take over maintenance duties.

Best regards,
Matthias