Hebrew

אורי

Aug 23, 2020, 10:04:23 PM8/23/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

What is the status of the Hebrew translations now? I edited some Hebrew translations, were they accepted? Are there untranslated strings in Hebrew?

תודה,

Claude Paroz

Aug 24, 2020, 2:47:24 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
I guess you have access to language statistics on:
https://www.transifex.com/django/django/language/he/

For now, I plan to integrate new and updated translations in the 3.1.2
release (October).

Claude

Le 24.08.20 à 04:00, אורי a écrit :
> u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net>

אורי

Aug 24, 2020, 3:11:31 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claude,

I want to check if translations I changed were accepted to be included in Django or rejected. I tried to check now, for example "%d hour" [https://www.transifex.com/django/django/translate/#he/contrib-humanize/142918809] which should not be "%d שעות" in the case of n=2 in Hebrew but "שעתיים". (actually "2 שעות" is correct but "שעתיים" is more widely used and better). I tried but I can't find my edits there, how can I check translations I edited and whether my edition was accepted or not? I want to improve the translations, but first I would like to know if my editions were accepted, so I will not waste my time to edit translations which will not be accepted.

Claude Paroz

Aug 24, 2020, 3:16:55 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uri,

If you are an accepted translator in the Hebrew team, every modification
you apply to a translation is directly accepted. The review status is
just a mean for reviewers to check translations but is not considered
when fetching translations (all translations are taken by Django
whatever their review status).

If you are not an accepted translator, you can only make suggestions.
I'm not experienced enough with those to tell if there is a way to check
the status of all suggestions you made (if any). In that case,
contacting the coordinator might the right thing to do.

Hope this helps,

Claude

Le 24.08.20 à 09:07, אורי a écrit :
> Hi Claude,
>
> I want to check if translations I changed were accepted to be included
> in Django or rejected. I tried to check now, for example "%d hour"
> [https://www.transifex.com/django/django/translate/#he/contrib-humanize/142918809] which
> should not be "%d שעות" in the case of n=2 in Hebrew but "שעתיים".
> (actually "2 שעות" is correct but "שעתיים" is more widely used and
> better). I tried but I can't find my edits there, how can I check
> translations I edited and whether my edition was accepted or not? I want
> to improve the translations, but first I would like to know if my
> editions were accepted, so I will not waste my time to edit translations
> which will not be accepted.
>
> אורי
> u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net>
>

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 9:47 AM Claude Paroz <cla...@2xlibre.net
> <mailto:cla...@2xlibre.net>> wrote:
>
> I guess you have access to language statistics on:
> https://www.transifex.com/django/django/language/he/
>
> For now, I plan to integrate new and updated translations in the 3.1.2
> release (October).
>
> Claude
>
> Le 24.08.20 à 04:00, אורי a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the status of the Hebrew translations now? I edited some
> Hebrew
> > translations, were they accepted? Are there untranslated strings
> in Hebrew?
> >
> > תודה,
> > אורי
> > u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net> <mailto:u...@speedy.net
> <mailto:u...@speedy.net>>

אורי

Aug 24, 2020, 3:34:39 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claude,

There is a problem. I can't see my editions, also not in the history of the translations. Can you check if I'm an accepted translator? Who is the coordinator and how do I contact them? I want to improve translations but if they are not accepted I would just waste my time.

Claude Paroz

Aug 24, 2020, 3:41:38 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Uri,

I checked and can confirm you are an accepted Hebrew translator.
Any translation you make or update is immediately taken into account
(unless someone else re-change it after you, of course).

Claude

Le 24.08.20 à 09:30, אורי a écrit :
> Hi Claude,
>
> There is a problem. I can't see my editions, also not in the history of
> the translations. Can you check if I'm an accepted translator? Who is
> the coordinator and how do I contact them? I want to improve
> translations but if they are not accepted I would just waste my time.
> אורי
> u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net>
> > u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net> <mailto:u...@speedy.net
> <mailto:u...@speedy.net>>
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 9:47 AM Claude Paroz <cla...@2xlibre.net
> <mailto:cla...@2xlibre.net>
> > <mailto:cla...@2xlibre.net <mailto:cla...@2xlibre.net>>> wrote:
> >
> >     I guess you have access to language statistics on:
> >     https://www.transifex.com/django/django/language/he/
> >
> >     For now, I plan to integrate new and updated translations in
> the 3.1.2
> >     release (October).
> >
> >     Claude
> >
> >     Le 24.08.20 à 04:00, אורי a écrit :
> >     > Hi,
> >     >
> >     > What is the status of the Hebrew translations now? I edited some
> >     Hebrew
> >     > translations, were they accepted? Are there untranslated strings
> >     in Hebrew?
> >     >
> >     > תודה,
> >     > אורי
> >     > u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net>
> <mailto:u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net>>
> <mailto:u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net>
> >     <mailto:u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net>>>

אורי

Aug 24, 2020, 3:46:50 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claude,

So why can't I see the changes I made to translations such as "%d weeks" and "%d hours"?

Also, what is the difference between "many" and "other" for numbers in Hebrew? I think there is 1, 2, and many. Why do we need "other"?

Claude Paroz

Aug 24, 2020, 3:53:55 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Le 24.08.20 à 09:42, אורי a écrit :
> Hi Claude,
>
> So why can't I see the changes I made to translations such as "%d weeks"
> and "%d hours"?

I cannot explain that, sorry. (or maybe you only made suggestions when
you were not yet in the team?)

> Also, what is the difference between "many" and "other" for numbers in
> Hebrew? I think there is 1, 2, and many. Why do we need "other"?

That's the (famous) plural string discussion. Unfortunately, we cannot
change that in Transifex, and they chose for Hebrew:
Plural-Forms: nplurals=4; plural=(n == 1 && n % 1 == 0) ? 0 : (n == 2 &&
n % 1 == 0) ? 1: (n % 10 == 0 && n % 1 == 0 && n > 10) ? 2 : 3;\n

Some other languages complained for the chosen plural string, we can do
nothing for now (AFAIK).

Claude
--
www.2xlibre.net

אורי

Aug 24, 2020, 3:54:19 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claude,

I'm trying to translate again "%d weeks" for 1 and 2 weeks, and I get an error message "The expression '%d' is not present in the translation.". I'm not sure if it was saved at all. Why do we need "%d" to be present? I wrote the word "one" in Hebrew (שבוע אחד) and for 2 weeks there is a special word - שבועיים. Is it possible to cancel this check, at least for the numbers 1 and 2?

אורי

Aug 24, 2020, 4:02:40 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
‪On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:50 AM ‫אורי‬‎ <u...@speedy.net> wrote:‬
Hi Claude,

I'm trying to translate again "%d weeks" for 1 and 2 weeks, and I get an error message "The expression '%d' is not present in the translation.". I'm not sure if it was saved at all. Why do we need "%d" to be present? I wrote the word "one" in Hebrew (שבוע אחד) and for 2 weeks there is a special word - שבועיים. Is it possible to cancel this check, at least for the numbers 1 and 2?

In Hebrew (and probably also English) "one week" looks better than "1 week".

אורי

Aug 24, 2020, 4:09:04 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hi Claude,

Can you please add me to the teams of Arabic and English (USA English)? (not as an accepted translator). I want to check what they are doing in other languages. Especially regarding translations with numbers such as "%d weeks".

Claude Paroz

Aug 24, 2020, 4:32:29 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Le 24.08.20 à 09:58, אורי a écrit :

> ‪On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:50 AM ‫אורי‬‎ <u...@speedy.net
There are two possible things at play here:

1. A gettext requirement that if the first plural form is not unique,
the %d is mandatory. That seems the case with Hebrew whose plural forms
start with "plural=(n == 1 && n % 1 == 0)"

2. An overzealous check by Transifex about that "%d" presence in some
strings (a bug was reported years ago).

You can check by downloading the .po file, changing your string manually
and then running a msgfmt -vc your_file.po. If gettext complains, you
have no other choice, you have to include the %d placeholder.

Claude
--
www.2xlibre.net

Claude Paroz

Aug 24, 2020, 4:35:18 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Le 24.08.20 à 10:05, אורי a écrit :
> Hi Claude,
>
> Can you please add me to the teams of Arabic and English (USA English)?
> (not as an accepted translator). I want to check what they are doing in
> other languages. Especially regarding translations with numbers such as
> "%d weeks".

It's easier to browse those translations here:
https://github.com/django/django/blob/master/django/contrib/humanize/locale/<lang_code>/LC_MESSAGES/django.po

Claude
--
www.2xlibre.net

אורי

Aug 24, 2020, 5:40:59 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 11:32 AM Claude Paroz <cla...@2xlibre.net> wrote:
Le 24.08.20 à 09:58, אורי a écrit :

> ‪On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 10:50 AM ‫אורי‬‎ <u...@speedy.net
> <mailto:u...@speedy.net>> wrote:‬
>
>     Hi Claude,
>
>     I'm trying to translate again "%d weeks" for 1 and 2 weeks, and I
>     get an error message "The expression '%d' is not present in the
>     translation.". I'm not sure if it was saved at all. Why do we need
>     "%d" to be present? I wrote the word "one" in Hebrew (שבוע אחד) and
>     for 2 weeks there is a special word - שבועיים. Is it possible to
>     cancel this check, at least for the numbers 1 and 2?
>

> In Hebrew (and probably also English) "one week" looks better than "1 week".

There are two possible things at play here:

1. A gettext requirement that if the first plural form is not unique,
the %d is mandatory. That seems the case with Hebrew whose plural forms
start with "plural=(n == 1 && n % 1 == 0)"

Why don't just use "n == 1" and "n == 2"?

2. An overzealous check by Transifex about that "%d" presence in some
strings (a bug was reported years ago).

You can check by downloading the .po file, changing your string manually
and then running a msgfmt -vc your_file.po. If gettext complains, you
have no other choice, you have to include the %d placeholder.

msgfmt raises 2 fatal errors for "1 week" and "2 weeks" not containing "%d" (in Hebrew).

Anyway this is a bug. What do they do in Arabic? Did you add me to the Arabic and English teams? I checked and the translations to Arabic for "%d weeks" contain "%d" in all the translations, although I think this is a mistake in Arabic, at least for "2 weeks".

אורי

Aug 24, 2020, 5:50:30 AM8/24/20
to djang...@googlegroups.com
‪On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 12:37 PM ‫אורי‬‎ <u...@speedy.net> wrote:‬

msgfmt raises 2 fatal errors for "1 week" and "2 weeks" not containing "%d" (in Hebrew).

I checked now and the same exception is raised also in Arabic, if the string for "2 weeks" doesn't contain "%d".