Advantages of Pinax for subsetting projects

bobhaugen

Sep 25, 2008, 2:01:49 PM9/25/08
to django-hotclub
What I mean is, projects that will use only a few of the Pinax apps,
but are still social in some respects.

For example, no Friends, Games, Blogs, Projects, Tribes, Tweets,
Bookmarks or Swaps.

But (for example) using Profiles (but with different fields, views and
templates), using all the timezone code, using wikis and notifications
but attached to different domain-specific objects, etc.

And adding some completely different social features (more complex
replacement for Projects, bidding on projects).

Will the remaining components and their integration (for example, the
libraries (batteries) included) outweigh the filtering and
customization required to keep everything working?

Or would it be better to start from scratch and re-integrate only the
required components?

I recognize that this is a set of tradeoffs and must be recomputed per
project, but I'm just thinking about it for one project and wondered
if anybody else would have any useful or interesting thoughts.

Thanks.

Rajeev J Sebastian

Sep 25, 2008, 2:30:10 PM9/25/08
to django-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

I, personally, found it difficult to keep up with pinax in a similiar
situation as yours. So, I've started from scratch.

Regards
Rajeev J Sebastian

bobhaugen

Sep 25, 2008, 2:45:55 PM9/25/08
to django-hotclub
On Sep 25, 1:30 pm, "Rajeev J Sebastian" <rajeev.sebast...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I, personally, found it difficult to keep up with pinax in a similiar
> situation as yours. So, I've started from scratch.

Keeping up with Pinax in the days before DjangoCon was completely
crazy. The latest release of Django wd break half of Pinax, and then
the latest release of Pinax wd break half the apps.

It's not so crazy anymore. So assuming you could keep up, would you
make the same decision?

What kind of app were you building, by the way?

Rajeev J Sebastian

Sep 25, 2008, 2:53:18 PM9/25/08
to django-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:15 AM, bobhaugen <bob.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not so crazy anymore. So assuming you could keep up, would you
> make the same decision?
>
> What kind of app were you building, by the way?

No I wont keep the same decision, because mostly i have to rearrange
everything, including reskinning.

I am now building a CMS to handle these aspects.

Regards
Rajeev J Sebastian

James Tauber

Sep 29, 2008, 5:17:39 PM9/29/08
to django-...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 25, 2008, at 2:01 PM, bobhaugen wrote:

> What I mean is, projects that will use only a few of the Pinax apps,
> but are still social in some respects.
>
> For example, no Friends, Games, Blogs, Projects, Tribes, Tweets,
> Bookmarks or Swaps.

I'm currently building a site that doesn't have games, blogs,
projects, tribes, tweets, bookmarks or swaps.

It does, however, use account, email confirmation, openid, pagination,
notification, mailer, etc. It will probably have its own profile app
(which is what triggered the recent refactoring of account vs profile
models) and may use friends.

I hope to release just the subset I'm using soon as I think it's a
good "Pinax Basics" project.

James

bobhaugen

Sep 30, 2008, 6:23:52 AM9/30/08
to django-hotclub
On Sep 29, 4:17 pm, James Tauber <jtau...@jtauber.com> wrote:
> I hope to release just the subset I'm using soon as I think it's a
> good "Pinax Basics" project.

Beautiful! I have a use for it, and will check it out as soon as
released.

Eric Drechsel

Sep 30, 2008, 12:39:20 PM9/30/08
to django-hotclub

> I'm currently building a site that doesn't have games, blogs,
> projects, tribes, tweets, bookmarks or swaps.
>
> It does, however, use account, email confirmation, openid, pagination,
> notification, mailer, etc. It will probably have its own profile app
> (which is what triggered the recent refactoring of account vs profile
> models) and may use friends.

I think pulling these generically-useful support apps out into a core
platform is a great idea.

Unfortunately the profile app depends on several other components. It
would be nice to try to make a generic version of the profile app
using plugin points where all the "your recent X" blocks are provided
by the individual apps. Also it should allow for customizing the
profile model, but that's a seperate problem.

In all, I think starting with Pinax is worthwhile just because it
establishes a number of conventions off the bat which you probably
won't go wrong by following. Don't make me think!

Eduardo O. Padoan

Sep 30, 2008, 3:44:01 PM9/30/08
to django-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Eric Drechsel <eric...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm currently building a site that doesn't have games, blogs,
>> projects, tribes, tweets, bookmarks or swaps.
>>
>> It does, however, use account, email confirmation, openid, pagination,
>> notification, mailer, etc. It will probably have its own profile app
>> (which is what triggered the recent refactoring of account vs profile
>> models) and may use friends.
>
> I think pulling these generically-useful support apps out into a core
> platform is a great idea.
>
> Unfortunately the profile app depends on several other components. It
> would be nice to try to make a generic version of the profile app
> using plugin points where all the "your recent X" blocks are provided
> by the individual apps. Also it should allow for customizing the
> profile model, but that's a seperate problem.

Isn't that how it works already? To have you recent bookmarks, tweets,
wiki articles and blog posts on the profile, you dont need to change
the profile app. Its ll provided by plugin points.

> In all, I think starting with Pinax is worthwhile just because it
> establishes a number of conventions off the bat which you probably
> won't go wrong by following. Don't make me think!

+1 :)

--
Eduardo de Oliveira Padoan
http://djangopeople.net/edcrypt/