Solr 3 End of Support

bigjust

Sep 19, 2013, 1:00:19 PM9/19/13
to django-ha...@googlegroups.com
Hey Folks,

As well all know, there are tons of PRs re: Solr 4 config changes.  Solr 3 is no longer being developed, the last two releases for Solr 3 were bugfixes only (mostly backported from 4 development), and the last one was in January.  There are only Solr 4 and 5 releases being listed in their issue tracker as "unreleased".  I think its time we make a point release (2.2) that drops support for Solr 3 in favor for 4.

Any problems with this?
Justin

Daniel Lindsley

Sep 19, 2013, 3:24:58 PM9/19/13
to bigjust, django-ha...@googlegroups.com
I said as much on IRC, but we need to drop Solr 3. We've got enough historical support for it in the older releases & it's time to let go. Sorry it's been such a pain for everyone.

Daniel

Ben Spaulding

Oct 17, 2013, 12:21:57 AM10/17/13
to django-ha...@googlegroups.com, bigjust
Daniel,

What is that going to take to accomplish? Just documentation and release notes regarding the change? If so I can take that on.

FYI, I have created an issue for this (#883) and I will move all discussion there after your response.

--
Ben

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM, bigjust wrote:

Hey Folks,

As well all know, there are tons of PRs re: Solr 4 config changes.  Solr 3 is no longer being developed, the last two releases for Solr 3 were bugfixes only (mostly backported from 4 development), and the last one was in January.  There are only Solr 4 and 5 releases being listed in their issue tracker as "unreleased".  I think its time we make a point release (2.2) that drops support for Solr 3 in favor for 4.

Any problems with this?
Justin

Ben Spaulding

Oct 17, 2013, 12:29:58 AM10/17/13
to django-ha...@googlegroups.com, bigjust
Oh, wow, I am behind the times. Sorry, but I just noticed Justin’s other message regarding Solr 4 his commits in master. (And I was quite naive about all the work that needed done. Justin put in a lot of work!)

So, ignore me. Shall I close that issue #883 about dropping Solr 3 support?

Sheepishly,
Ben

Caratzas, Justin (CMG-Atlanta)

Oct 17, 2013, 10:36:42 AM10/17/13
to Ben Spaulding, django-ha...@googlegroups.com, bigjust
I don't mind keeping it open, just to make it clear that it hasn't been finished. I've been slammed by work, so unable to do the solr 4 spatial stuff so far, hopefully i (or anyone) can get to that soon.

-- Justin
Oh, wow, I am behind the times. Sorry, but I just noticed Justin’s other message regarding Solr 4<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-haystack-dev/nWie5yoYlvs> his commits in master. (And I was quite naive about all the work that needed done. Justin put in a lot of work!)

So, ignore me. Shall I close that issue #883<https://github.com/toastdriven/django-haystack/issues/883> about dropping Solr 3 support?

Sheepishly,
Ben

FYI, I have created an issue for this (#883<https://github.com/toastdriven/django-haystack/issues/883>) and I will move all discussion there after your response.

[...]

Ben Spaulding

Oct 18, 2013, 10:54:19 PM10/18/13
to django-ha...@googlegroups.com, Ben Spaulding, bigjust, justin....@coxinc.com
Justin,

Sounds good. Since you said you would take it on, I have unassigned me and assigned it to you so you can find it easier.

Thanks,
Ben
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to django-haystack-dev+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/django-haystack-dev.