GSoC: Houskeeping

Peter Skočovský

Mar 29, 2010, 4:23:04 PM3/29/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Hallo!

I am Peter Skocovsky. And I would like to contribute to django as a part of GSoC program.
I am just finishing my bachelors in Computer Science in Czech Republic. I wrote a lot of code in C/C++, Java, Python, PHP (and others) during my studies and my free time. I was trying to find my way to web technologies, but developing web applications seemed so complicated and time consuming to me .. until I have found django!

I do not have many experiences with django (so far). That is why I was happy to see "Housekeeping" idea on your idea page, which is indeed the best way to learn a lot about django. I would like to write a proposal based on this idea, but I do not know where to start. Are there any other areas (apart from those mentioned on the ideas page) you need to clean up? How could I find them? (Tickets?) I am going to read through all the code anyway, but I will welcome any suggestion where to focus my attention.

You wrote that you want to know more about me. Should I send this info to this group, or write it elsewhere?
I will need to sit a final exams at my university in the June and I will need to study for it for nearly one month. I will not be able to work much at this project during this period. Is that a big problem? I can still decide, how much time I will invest in which. So I am asking for your opinion to regulate my effort efficiently.

Thank you for answers in advance..
Peter

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 29, 2010, 8:18:34 PM3/29/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
2010/3/30 Peter Skočovský <aifar...@gmail.com>:

> Hallo!
>
> I am Peter Skocovsky. And I would like to contribute to django as a part of
> GSoC program.
> I am just finishing my bachelors in Computer Science in Czech Republic. I
> wrote a lot of code in C/C++, Java, Python, PHP (and others) during my
> studies and my free time. I was trying to find my way to web technologies,
> but developing web applications seemed so complicated and time consuming to
> me .. until I have found django!
>
> I do not have many experiences with django (so far). That is why I was happy
> to see "Housekeeping" idea on your idea page, which is indeed the best way
> to learn a lot about django. I would like to write a proposal based on this
> idea, but I do not know where to start. Are there any other areas (apart
> from those mentioned on the ideas page) you need to clean up? How could I
> find them? (Tickets?) I am going to read through all the code anyway, but I
> will welcome any suggestion where to focus my attention.

The "Housekeeping" task is a bit of a catch-all. It's entirely
possible that we will accept multiple students under the
"housekeeping" banner.

What we need you to do for your proposal is to identify an area that
needs some housekeeping. If you don't have any prior experience with
Django to know the parts that need cleaning, the ticket system is a
good place to start looking. A good indication that housekeeping is
required is to look for an component with lots of tickets that all
seem to share common features.

Your proposal will essentially become:
* a broad description of the area you want to clean up
* an initial list of tickets that you will aim to address. If you can
find a dozen related tickets, you've probably found a proposal.

For example, if you look through the ORM component, you will discover
lots of tickets around aggregation, defer/only and extra. You will
discover tickets involving select_related() in various configurations.
These are areas that could use some cleanup effort. The ORM isn't the
only affected area, though -- there are many others.

> You wrote that you want to know more about me. Should I send this info to
> this group, or write it elsewhere?

You should include this history as part of your proposal. Keep in mind
that we're not looking for a deep personal history; we're just looking
for enough details to judge your application. Are you a final year
student in a top tier university with excellent marks? Or are you a
first year student at the local community college who is a C-average
student? Have you contributed to open source before? Do you have
anything that resembles useful experience? You need to provide
assurance to us that you are capable of finishing the proposal that
you submit. The more ambitious your proposal, the more important your
credentials will be.

> I will need to sit a final exams at my university in the June and I will
> need to study for it for nearly one month. I will not be able to work much
> at this project during this period. Is that a big problem? I can still
> decide, how much time I will invest in which. So I am asking for your
> opinion to regulate my effort efficiently.

To be honest, it's not ideal. However, we have had european university
students in the past with similar exam constraints. As long as you're
clear about your availability up front, and you're willing to make up
the time elsewhere in the schedule, we should be able to accommodate
you.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)