GSOC 2010 - Testing Updates

diofeher

Mar 25, 2010, 10:11:27 AM3/25/10
to django-gsoc
Hello, I'm CS student from Brazil.
I'm very interested in apply to GSoC this year. I'm studying tests
now, with Python's UnitTest and Java's JUnit, so I would like to take
the "Testing Updates" idea.

What I have to do now? :)

Valerio Turturici

Mar 25, 2010, 10:47:06 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
diofeher ha scritto:
Hi, i'm studying tests now too. We can work on this project togheter.
You like the idea?

Diógenes A. Fernandes Hermínio

Mar 25, 2010, 10:48:06 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

2010/3/25 Valerio Turturici <turturic...@gmail.com>

At GSoC is it possible two students join the same idea? I think it's one per student/mentor.

--
Diógenes Augusto Fernandes Hermínio
http://diofeher.net/

Valerio Turturici

Mar 25, 2010, 10:53:04 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Diógenes A. Fernandes Hermínio ha scritto:

> At GSoC is it possible two students join the same idea? I think it's
> one per student/mentor.

I don't know. But we can ask.

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 25, 2010, 10:55:55 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

The next step is to follow the instructions we provided on the wiki.

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2010

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Diógenes A. Fernandes Hermínio

Mar 25, 2010, 10:56:50 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

I don't know. But we can ask.

Anyone, please? :D

Valerio Turturici

Mar 25, 2010, 11:03:01 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Diógenes A. Fernandes Hermínio ha scritto:

> I don't know. But we can ask.
>

> Anyone, please? :D

We can ask to Russell.

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 25, 2010, 11:06:36 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

My reading of [1] and [2] suggests that you are both able to apply for
the same project, and we may choose to accept two students for the
same project, but you must prepare separate applications, and you will
be mentored and assessed separately.

If you're planning to collaborate in this way, I would suggest that
one approach would be to work together to look at how the problem can
be divided cleanly into two. The obvious way is to pick half the test
suite each (although you'll need to convince us that there is still 12
weeks work in half the test suite). However, this isn't the only way
you could split this work up. If you look at the 'issues to consider'
for the project, that might give you some ideas.

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#group_apply

[2] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#multiple_accepted

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Valerio Turturici

Mar 25, 2010, 11:20:47 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Russell Keith-Magee ha scritto:

> My reading of [1] and [2] suggests that you are both able to apply for
> the same project, and we may choose to accept two students for the
> same project, but you must prepare separate applications, and you will
> be mentored and assessed separately.
>
> If you're planning to collaborate in this way, I would suggest that
> one approach would be to work together to look at how the problem can
> be divided cleanly into two. The obvious way is to pick half the test
> suite each (although you'll need to convince us that there is still 12
> weeks work in half the test suite). However, this isn't the only way
> you could split this work up. If you look at the 'issues to consider'
> for the project, that might give you some ideas.
>
> [1] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#group_apply
>
> [2] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#multiple_accepted
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

Oh very good. Where we can make the applications? Here or in the
django-developer list?

Firat Can Basarir

Mar 25, 2010, 11:20:57 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
django-developer list would be better. But from what I understand, you need to do a lot of research about the issue you want to work on. So you need to understand the problem in such a way that you can divide it in two, reasonably.

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 25, 2010, 11:24:59 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

The formal application process is handled through the SoCGHOP website [1].

Formal applications don't open until March 29. However, given that
your formal application will need to include a project proposal, you
would be well advised to seek feedback on django-developers before
formally applying.

Side note: this is all clearly documented in the wiki [2].

[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/
[2] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2010

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Valerio Turturici

Mar 25, 2010, 11:35:07 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Firat Can Basarir ha scritto:

> django-developer list would be better. But from what I understand, you
> need to do a lot of research about the issue you want to work on. So
> you need to understand the problem in such a way that you can divide
> it in two, reasonably.

Ok, it' clear. I talk with other guy and then proceed.

Valerio Turturici

Mar 25, 2010, 11:35:53 AM3/25/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Have you read the list? We can make the same project and work togheter,
but we need to make research about the issue and then divide it into 2
or more parts.

Diógenes A. Fernandes Hermínio

Mar 26, 2010, 1:21:06 PM3/26/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Ok, let's go to do some research!

2010/3/25 Valerio Turturici <turturic...@gmail.com>
Have you read the list? We can make the same project and work togheter, but we need to make research about the issue and then divide it into 2 or more parts.

Valerio Turturici

Mar 26, 2010, 2:50:25 PM3/26/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Diógenes A. Fernandes Hermínio ha scritto:
> Ok, let's go to do some research!

Ok, awesome!!