Application problem question

M4ks

Mar 31, 2010, 5:12:54 PM3/31/10
to django-gsoc
How important is to state one big problem? I would like to participate
in GSoC and I worked as a Django developer (well, thats kinda funny,
but thats official position name in company I've worked in) for a half
a year and I rather have quite a few possible upgrades in many
different field instead of one big problem. Is such application also
valuable or should I rather stick to monolithic idea?

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 31, 2010, 8:58:35 PM3/31/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

You don't need to be constrained to a single monolithic idea (e.g.,
"add multi-db support"). However, if you take the "lots of little
issues" approach, you should try and pick a single area to concentrate
on. For example, you could pick "form rendering problems" or
"join/select_related() problems". This focus helps us assess whether
you understand the area you're proposing to fix, and makes it easier
for us to select an appropriate mentor.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)