Google Summer of Code 2010

Valerio Turturici

Mar 18, 2010, 5:44:25 PM3/18/10
to django-gsoc
Hi all,
my name's Valerio and i looking for GSOC project. I've one question: i
know Python, but i've not study Django yet. This is a big problem?

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 18, 2010, 7:54:23 PM3/18/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

Not at problem at all. One of the reasons we participate in the GSoC
is to introduce people to Django, in the hope that they may become
long term contributors. If you've got Python skills but aren't
familiar with Django, there are a couple of projects on our
suggestions page that might be well suited [1].

In particular, "Improved Error Reporting", "Housekeeping" and "Testing
Updates" don't really require an in-depth pre-existing knowledge of
Django -- but if you successfully completed any of these projects, you
would know Django's internals quite well.

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2010

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Valerio Turturici

Mar 19, 2010, 9:15:41 AM3/19/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Russell Keith-Magee ha scritto:

> Not at problem at all. One of the reasons we participate in the GSoC
> is to introduce people to Django, in the hope that they may become
> long term contributors. If you've got Python skills but aren't
> familiar with Django, there are a couple of projects on our
> suggestions page that might be well suited [1].
>
> In particular, "Improved Error Reporting", "Housekeeping" and "Testing
> Updates" don't really require an in-depth pre-existing knowledge of
> Django -- but if you successfully completed any of these projects, you
> would know Django's internals quite well.
>
> [1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2010

Wow! Amazing! I want to learn that things! I have to send an e-mail at
address in this link[1]?

[1]http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/org/show/google/gsoc2010/django

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 20, 2010, 2:11:56 AM3/20/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you're interested in doing one of these projects, you need to write
up a proposal as described here [1].

Once you have written your proposal, you formally apply to be a SoC
sutdent through the SOCGHOP website. Applications don't open until
March 29, so you have a few days to get your proposal into shape
before you can apply.

[1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2010#Students

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Valerio Turturici

Mar 22, 2010, 12:40:11 PM3/22/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Russell Keith-Magee ha scritto:

> In particular, "Improved Error Reporting", "Housekeeping" and "Testing
> Updates" don't really require an in-depth pre-existing knowledge of
> Django -- but if you successfully completed any of these projects, you
> would know Django's internals quite well.
>
> [1] http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2010
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

I looked those projects. They are interesting. "Testing updates"
requires tests knowledge, a very interesting field. I bought the Kent
Beck's book and it will arrive next week. About Django, I will start
studying it next week. My proposal is between these three projects. You
have special preferences?

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 22, 2010, 7:57:20 PM3/22/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com

I don't have any particular preference. They would all be valuable
contributions to Django.

If you need to clarify anything about the projects themselves, please
direct your questions to django-developers. I read that list closely;
if I respond on the list rather than in personal mail, the whole
community benefits, rather than just one person.

Best of luck with the Summer of Code!

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Valerio Turturici

Mar 23, 2010, 5:50:49 AM3/23/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
I wrote on django-gsoc list, not at your personal mail. Is this the list for information about the appplications for GSOC?

2010/3/23 Russell Keith-Magee <freakb...@gmail.com>

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Valerio Turturici

ADISOL - Associazione per la Divulgazione in Italia del
Software Opensource e Libero

Russell Keith-Magee

Mar 23, 2010, 8:02:31 AM3/23/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Valerio Turturici
<turturic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote on django-gsoc list, not at your personal mail. Is this the list for
> information about the appplications for GSOC?

My apologies for the false accusation about personal mail - I misread
the header information on your mail. I blame a lack of coffee :-)

If you want to know about the administration of the GSoC program
itself, django-gsoc is the right list. If you're looking for feedback
or clarification on an idea or proposal, django-developers is a better
forum.

As I said last time, we don't have any particular preference - all
three of the ideas your referenced are of interest to Django as a
whole. It really comes down to your own preferences and capabilities,
and your ability to convince us that you understand the problem that
needs to be solved.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Valerio Turturici

Mar 23, 2010, 2:16:29 PM3/23/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
Russell Keith-Magee ha scritto:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Valerio Turturici
> <turturic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I wrote on django-gsoc list, not at your personal mail. Is this the list for
>> information about the appplications for GSOC?
>>

> My apologies for the false accusation about personal mail - I misread
> the header information on your mail. I blame a lack of coffee :-)

Don't worry :)

> As I said last time, we don't have any particular preference - all
> three of the ideas your referenced are of interest to Django as a
> whole. It really comes down to your own preferences and capabilities,
> and your ability to convince us that you understand the problem that
> needs to be solved.

This is my first time on a real work/project, i have a lot to learn. I
think that with knowledge wich i have now the "Improving error
reporting" is a good choice.