[Repost][GSoC] Making django.db usable outside Django

Yuvi Panda

Apr 1, 2010, 1:49:50 PM4/1/10
to djang...@googlegroups.com
I'm a CS student from India and am planning to apply for this year's
GSoC to work on Django. I've worked on several django based websites
([1][2] + 1 yet to be released) and flirted around with other Python
Web Frameworks too (Tornado, web.py, etc)

My project idea is to rip out the Django ORM so it could be used
outside django. django.db will be isolated (ie. dependencies on other
parts of django will be cut or folded back into django.db), and
packaged with a different name (perhaps djangoorm, to avoid conflict
with django) so it can be used in other web frameworks, application
servers, desktop apps, etc. I've already done some prelim work[3]
cutting dependencies, and all the django.db related tests run
successfully. This will make atleast one part of Django usable by a
lot more people.

I'm writing up a full proposal, but thought it would be a good idea to
check with the developers if this kind of project is okay.

Thoughts?

[1]: http://busroutes.in
[2]: http://novelrace.in
[3]: http://github.com/yuvipanda/django-standalone-orm

P.S. I posted this a few weeks back, to django-dev but got no
response. Thought I'll
post this again today with the GSoC folks being more active.

--
Yuvi Panda T
http://yuvi.in/blog