Workflow in FeinCMS

ma...@phillipsmarketing.biz

Aug 25, 2014, 11:22:23 AM8/25/14
to django-...@googlegroups.com
I am new to FeinCMS, but have worked with the Plone (a Python based cms) a lot, and have developed several django based sites. I am curious if FEinCMS will work for a new project that I am moving from Plone.

The project is a US high school online newspaper. We have one unusual requirement that many cms frameworks struggle with. I need a three step workflow process for all content. The typical use case:

step 1 - a Content Creator (ie anyone with an account on the site that has been approved) creates a piece of content (article, photo, etc.) and submits that piece of content for review.
step 2 - the content is reviewed by a Reviewer - usually a teacher or staff member. If the article is approved by the Reviewer, it is submitted to the Editors for publication, if not it is sent back to the Content Creator
step 3 - an Editor, usually a student, reviews the submitted content from the Reviewer, and either publishes the content, or sends it back to the Content Creator for changes.

Only published content is available publicly on the site. Of course, all of these submissions and back and fort between the Content Creator, Reviewer, and Editor is documented with comments and date stamps - ie a history is kept. Also, emails and texts are sent to each person(s) in theses roles when something changes, so everyone can react as soon as possible

The basic rule is that all content (and edits to that content) must first be reviewed by a Reviewer (ie teacher or staff) before any student sees the submitted content - a school district rule and not my version of Big Brother.

I searched the FeinCMS documentation for "workflow" and from the dated information I found it seems that FeinCMS may not have a publishing workflow. Does FeinCMS have the concept of workflow for content, and can it be easily adjusted for this three step workfow process?

Thanks,

Mark

Matthias Kestenholz

Sep 1, 2014, 3:30:22 AM9/1/14
to FeinCMS
Hi Mark

Unfortunately, Django's admin panel does not really support workflows. There are a few third party apps around, the admin panel is also more customizable than it was, but the general idea is still "Trusted users editing structured content".

If you really need workflows, I'd recommend not using Django. (This isn't really FeinCMS specific.)

Thanks
Matthias

Mark Phillips

Sep 1, 2014, 10:45:57 AM9/1/14
to django-...@googlegroups.com
Matthias,

Thank you for your candor! I was hoping FeinCMS had added some workflow concepts on top of django, as I love working with that framework.

I guess I will have to stick with Plone.

Mark

brejoc

Sep 16, 2014, 8:07:01 AM9/16/14
to django-...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

perhaps should take a look at wagtail. They've got some kind of workflow implemented. But I don't know if it fits you needs or is customizable.

Cheers

Jochen